Ca: 72 240Z Wide Body; buy before I kill it $2200

Ok so I have injected to much into this car and Im selling it for half of what I put into it. Its still a friggin basket case still!

Long story short. I need it gone by 6/10 so I can work on a customers car. How bad do I need it gone? Ive got 9 cars into a 3 car driveway on a hill! 7 of those cars are Z's and 2 cars are my daily and my wifes daily and there is a random Maxima wagon in there now too! I thought I had already sold this car and the guy backed out. As it is, it will need towed.

6/10 I plan on cutting it up. It will be the Fourth clean Z Ive cut up this year! Its becoming a bad habit.

So what is it?

L24 SU carbs

MSA jet hot round port header brand new

2" exhaust

4 & 5 spd(5 not in the car currently)

R180 4.11 gears welded carrier

front fiberglass fenders with molded air dam

Fiberglass flares all around

aftermarket gauges

stock suspension

new master cylinders and clutch slave

most of the interior is there but no carpet

15x7 westerns or turbines or whatever they are called. They dont fill the fenders out, but they have tires that hold air in there. :)

The passenger floor has a patch that needs installed, I already cut the hole. The patch needs to be trimmed and welded in. Already finished the driver side rust repair.

The battery is dead. And other then some ignition wiring it should run. The engine ran 3 weeks ago in the donor car. It needs a valve adjust.

2012-09-11073318.jpg

2012-09-11073231.jpg

2012-09-11073259.jpg

2012-09-11073307.jpg

2012-09-11073242.jpg

2012-09-11073221.jpg

2012-09-12172523.jpg

2012-09-12172516.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maxima isnt going anywhere anytime soon. I just picked it up. I posted it in the Project Datto Section under Project 910R. RB25det NEO6 going in. The LD is getting saved for my 240Z Dark Side conversion. I plan on swapping the maxima and driving it.

Will take trades or partial trades on this. Please no other vehicles though! As much as I would love more Datsuns I must resist the urge at this time. I need to clear out 3 cars before I bring more home.

How bad do I need it gone? Ive got 9 cars into a 3 car driveway on a hill! 7 of those cars are Z's and 2 cars are my daily and my wifes daily and there is a random Maxima wagon in there now too! I thought I had already sold this car and the guy backed out. As it is, it will need towed.

6/10 I plan on cutting it up. It will be the Fourth clean Z Ive cut up this year! Its becoming a bad habit

You're right it's a bad habbit. So do everyone a favor ad cut this one up and stop buying them. .

• Like 2

wow , i dont suppose youd say that to the510keeper? its not as if you had a clue as to why im in thia situation with this car. my intensions were to make repairs to it but after finding out the po that built the car did it all wrong and the engine had failed i have tried to do my best to put it back on the road. i even got done repairing the floor pan on the drivers side.!!!

but if you say so. dick.

wow , i dont suppose youd say that to the510keeper? its not as if you had a clue as to why im in thia situation with this car. my intensions were to make repairs to it but after finding out the po that built the car did it all wrong and the engine had failed i have tried to do my best to put it back on the road. i even got done repairing the floor pan on the drivers side.!!!

but if you say so. dick.

All he or any of us know is what you tell us so.... You say you tried to finish, didnt work out. Happens to the best of us no big deal... but where does cutting it up come in? Its not like we can go to walmart and buy us more you know... Cutting up a solid or even salvageable body in my opinion is far more dick then being called out on it.

All he or any of us know is what you tell us so.... You say you tried to finish, didnt work out. Happens to the best of us no big deal... but where does cutting it up come in? Its not like we can go to walmart and buy us more you know... Cutting up a solid or even salvageable body in my opinion is far more dick then being called out on it.

truth

i dont think he ment to be a dick and if your cuting them up to fix others you have (like the keepa) does by all means do ya thang boo boo. If your cuttin em up cause you can whoa man just whoa

no offense just my 2 cents

truth

If he meant no offence then I apologize. This car has been a thorn in my side for a while. I bought it thinking it was going to be an easy fix as someone in the past about 3 owners ago decided to do an engine swap on it. Well they did a hack job. Matter of fact is that everything that was done to this car was a hack job. Most of you know how that goes. It appeared to be a good car in good shape, but so many corners were cut that the car was just way more of a mess than I could perceive when I bought it. Needless to say it has been a sore subject to try and fix. Once I realized the whole drivetrain was shot I had to replace everything. Motor, trans, rear end, suspension and the rust that I already knew about going into it. So a parts car was bought and cut up to fix this one. Now I am turning away work and delaying other work just to get it out of the driveway.

I have a customer dropping his car off on the 7th and on top of that my wife is wanting it gone, Im have completely exhaust myself and my resources to get the car running for a guy who put money down and then backed out. I dont want to spend a day stripping and cutting up another car. Its gonna cost me money for blades and electricity just to do that. Then there is the mess, but I need it gone and my first idea was to put it into storage until it sells, but Im not willing to spend $70 a month to store it. I know it doesnt sound like it but Im kinda cornered. Im willing to take a loss on it if someone thinks they can give it the love and attention it really needs. Its got a clean title with current registration. The other cars Ive cut up all have 1 of 2 things wrong with them and they end up being donors for my other cars or someone elses. Either DMV back fees are up the arse or they are total rust buckets. Right now I would not qualify this as either, but I do know that people will buy the parts in the end so at least Ill make something back on it. I have several other Z's and Datsuns that are all in better shape and Im way more attached to that this car. It was for sale at what I thought was a good price to tinker with and fix the obvious issues. The obvious issues had already escallated into major issues and I was not able to catch them until it was too late. For instance, The car had an L28et and someone plumbed an intercooler in with a BOV vented to atmosphere. That wont work with the stock ECU and VAFM. But it was ran long enough and apparently hard enough that AFR's went south enough to break piston skirts. A compression test and checking of the plugs before I bought the car did not reveal this. Also the suspension was modified and hacked together. It loaded the already old and weakened components to the point where they were unsafe, but I did not catch this until I brought it home and had it in the air to pull the engine I discovered had been blown. Numberous other things added up like this. Then when I had someone to buy it I started to put it together the way they wanted it, stock with used parts from a vehicle they chose. So Ive come to the point where its not worth putting more time and money into to sell it as there is no way to collect for all the work and money Ive sunk into it. It has potential, but I dont have much time to sit on it to wait for some prospective buyer. So Ive put adds out in places like this where hopefully someone will find it and give it that help and understand its a complete basket case. It was sold to me as a driver with a hickup and rusty floors.

The sad part is that the brown 280z in the background has way more rust and should be cut up, but a good friend of mine has taken the battle up with it and is planning an LS swap. I gave it to him for free after towing down from Sacramento. He is slow but making progress. It has no floors at all currently and the spare tire well fell out without a fight.

Anyone local willing to store it?

I hate cutting these things up. Wish I had a large lot somewhere like James where I could store some of them indefinately.

If I push it on the street Im sure it will get towed even with good registration. The neighbor has had his cars and trailers towed a few times because they were an eye sore and parked more than 24 hours in one spot... even though Im county and 1 mile off the beaten path. One of our neighbors is a dick hole. We know who she is. The whole neighborhood is filled with gear heads except one house on the block. Im waiting for them to call county on me for all the cars in my driveway... another reason to try and clear these out.

I wish there was more I could do, but Im burned out on it and there is no return on my efforts since I have no plans on keeping it for myself.

Im open to ideas if you guys got some.

Yes man shit happens, we all been there in dif ways but I think you glazed right over the point. You make it sound like it's either store or chop it lol. There is this crazy 3rd option of getting it gone at w/e you can get for it. That way another person gets to have/enjoy one and values dont keep going up. I just sold my 72 shell for good money weeks ago. Not like its a hard sell, there are buyers everywhere right now. Why is that? BECAUSE PEOPLE CUT THEM UP. :poop:

My idea is to put the car up in the forums and craigs at BO and pass the poor thing on.

Be careful about posting these type of responses fellas, someone might lay down the law about the rules, lol !

But for the record (and not singling out this thread or op in particular btw), whether here or craigslist or wherever... I really despise the 'come get it or I'll cut it up' posts... like are you a Datsun lover or just holding them hostage ? :angry:

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" - Baretta

Yes man shit happens, we all been there in dif ways but I think you glazed right over the point. You make it sound like it's either store or chop it lol. There is this crazy 3rd option of getting it gone at w/e you can get for it. That way another person gets to have/enjoy one and values dont keep going up. I just sold my 72 shell for good money weeks ago. Not like its a hard sell, there are buyers everywhere right now. Why is that? BECAUSE PEOPLE CUT THEM UP. :poop:

My idea is to put the car up in the forums and craigs at BO and pass the poor thing on.

I hear ya,

Its listed on CL and hybridz. Problem is that someone is towing there 240Z over here on the 7th for restoration work and dont have the space. Also Im busy between work and family through next weekend. Ive been so busy that even if I had wanted to do anything on the car I couldnt have for the past month. I really need the cash flow to continue so its better for me to get this car gone than continue to loose money. I am a tech by trade so I do side work just like James aka the510keeper does with paint. But Ive turned thousands of dollars away because my driveway is full and I have nowhere to do it. My plate is full, and its my fault for getting there, but I need to continue to try and pull in cash to keep going over here. Ive hit you guys up last minute, I know. Its been on CL for a long while and hybridz for that matter. I dont think Im asking to much for it? Am I? No one in this area seems to be buying.

And Ill tell you what, Im open to Best Offers. Best offer that gets it gone before my customer arrives gets it!

There are already people choping at the bit for a partout on hybridz.

BTW I think the car is holding me! hostage at the moment. I think perhaps my title is what has spurred some of this negative feedback. Im starting to think this particular Z is cursed, and so did/does the last owner.

About the only thing Id be willing to do is finish the floor repair as I know that can be a sticky point to buyers.

but if you say so. dick.

Yeah, was trying to be a dick more than a mike. (I find it easier to do early in the morning without a coffee :lol: ) ... and I saw this....

buy before I kill it $2200

6/10 I plan on cutting it up. It will be the Fourth clean Z Ive cut up this year! Its becoming a bad habit.

Part it out as best you can, whatever is left give away. Cutting it up is a waste. Threatening to cut it up if not sold is.... wrong somehow. Strip all the parts off it? Surely something can be done save as much as possible..

Yeah, was trying to be a dick more than a mike. (I find it easier to do early in the morning without a coffee :lol: ) ... and I saw this....

Part it out as best you can, whatever is left give away. Cutting it up is a waste. Threatening to cut it up if not sold is.... wrong somehow. Strip all the parts off it? Surely something can be done save as much as possible..

Ill accept that. I know what thats like. I need my damned coffee too or... Super Ultra Mega Dick arrives.

I was not trying to be threatening and thats how it was perceived by the way I worded it. I was just stating that is the plan and that Ive been beat down by this car from all angles. I have customers breathing down my neck, Wife complaining, and a total loss of all my time, effort, and money that Ive sunk into the car. It should have been worded something like, I plan on cutting this car up unless someone wants to buy it. Im on a time schedule though and Im posting here a bit late, but I only have time to cut it up on the 6th which is the day before a customer drops off his vehicle. Not sure if that sounds a whole lot better. Its mostly because Im posting it here like months later and at the end of my rope. I listed it on hybridZ back in July and CL several weeks prior to that. o now its sounds worse, but Ive really been procrastinating this a lot longer than 2 weeks.

To be honest I might have read this post and responded similarly.

IF it does come down to the 6th and I cut it up, I will be parting out everything I can. And yes I do give some stuff away for free. When I do something like this no part goes to waste. I save fasteners and panels. It has a really nice roof and I know several folks that hate their sun roofs.

Anyway, I hope it doesnt come to that, but that's the plan as of now.

Well the time is nearing where I need it gone. Ive tried to come up with other ways to store it, but nothing has worked out. Ive had 3 buyers call up and back out the next day without ever seeing the car.

Im open to offers guys.

Please spread the word if you know a friend looking for a project.

Thanks

Ray

Well Ive had a ton more calls on this car, and every one of them wanted it and everyone called back and backed out after finding something not half a state away.

JZ33 I wish I could take you up on your offer. I have no transportation for it at all.

Someone offered me $1000 for the car and I told them If I keep the 5spd and header its all theirs. I havent heard back from them and who really knows if its another CL flake or not.

So the plan is still to cut the car up this coming Saturday. Which means I have to go buy blades for my saw and spend hours dismantling it and cutting it into 1/4s. Not very fun for anyone. I kick myself for ever buying this one. What a waste of $3500 that I didnt have.

Please continue to spread the word? Maybe someone will fly down here last minute with a trailer and save it?

Thanks guys.

Brakes need bled

Ignition needs to be wired up(car was swapped and put on toggles and is now stock)

Coolant needs put in it.

I just charged the battery

Tires are kind of iffy for a drive.

Transmission needs to be installed. The current 4 spd should work, but Im having problem getting it into 3rd and 4th.

Valves need adjusted.

Some other wiring may be needed related to the aftermarket gauges.

The Alternator needs to be changed out for the internally regulated one thats already been wired up for the car.(Or rather the car has already been wired up for)

And there is a large hole in the passenger floor under the seat where I never installed the new floor panel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.