Need Help Deciding Engine Swap!

With all the engine swaps that people do out there im really confused on what i should drop into my car. i was thinking about putting an 80-83 turbo L28 in it, but my dad said if i want something easy and cheap then i should go with the chevrolet 350. im not really all that interested in doing a V8 swap. i was also thinking a skyline swap.

What do you guys think?

should i do the 80-83 L28 turbo swap?

Or a skyline swap? an rb20?

please help point me in the right direction, what are all of your opinions on the the two choices above?

or if you have a better suggestion on a swap?

Thanks, Alex

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your dad has a point 350s are a dime a dozen but there HEAVY that is there biggest drawback though a built carbed 350 is a beautiful thing i wouldnt go that way

if i were you i would go with an rb25 or 26 it just makes sense to me the car was built for a 6 cyl so you need to put at least that many cylinders back in it not to mention the rb series has proben performance potential and keeps it all nissan

• Like 1

Throw some Tripple 40DCOE's (or 45DCOE's depending on needs ..) on your current zcar engine ...

and you'll likely stop thinking about engine swaps once they are dialed in.

it's like a completely different car .. hard throttle hook up and INSTANT throttle response .. mmmmmmm

Then ... put a more agressive cam in it with some other head/exhaust/carburetion work = win

best part about a completely different feel = less work and same engine ! :D

That being said ..out of the list ... L28et is the probably the smartest move and easiest to learn on not to mention probably the cheapest budget builder. ( depending on purchase costs/shape/plans )

Everything drops in and bolts in. BAM !!!

hybrid.org will make you aware of the different year zxt CAS ignition setup's and straight forward "How-to's" for the zxt swap.

zxt's are generally cheap as a whole ..( which is how you want to purchase them )

Very few wires to solder in for the conversion (especially if you're not an electrical artist)

You'll need a baffled 75-76 280z fuel tank or a custom baffled fuel tank (?).

Download FSM's at xenon.com and be happy !

hybridz.org also has how to's for RB25det's.

IF I had money to just simply blow on a project

I would personally look for an LS1 or a 2JZGTE ... ( I don't know enough about the 2JZ personally ... but a twin turbo 3.0 liter = butt pucker )

At the same time with JDM engines imported ... I'm wondering if a good portion of them need to be rebuilt :lol:

a good condition LS1 deal = like trying to catch a frieken leprechaun ! :lol:

Remember ... as with all budget's

times them by 2-3x for total amount.

and expect things to take up to 3x the amount of time originally estimated = life happens.

Haha yeah but I actually prefer stick shift.. :) and I can weld perfectly well ;) gotta get up early and jerk that L24 out of it.. think zxt is my best bet.. I need this beef machine ASAP... next project ill do a vette I love the sound of that... is there no way to get a stick shift on a vette engine

Good man :D !

Auto's kill the ride of the car for most of us apparently ... :lol:

Good direction !

T56 6-speed on LS1 vette engine works nicely .. expensive but cooler than shit on bling factor lol.

it's a tight fit/modification to trans tunnel for fit on s30's I think ? ( don't take that for 100% gospel as I've never worked on one .. just played with them lol )

I think ? ...there are also retro-fit kits to put older manual trans kits on ... but probably not really worth it lol.

check out hybridz.org for pictures of that

No Prob !

You can find LT-1's bolted to T56's as well. Think 90's-ish firebirds.

I'm not entirely sure on the camaro's , but I'm sure they can be likely candidate's as well.

If you sign-up to Hybridz.org to look a pictures/thread's

word to the wise ... read ALL their rules 3x minimum

they are very strict.

Grammar is important

Putting your profile location is important.

^^^ I got warned on both :rolleyes:... even though everything else I did was to a "T" :lol: whateva

I rarely post their much anymore ... just soak in lol

Hybridz.org ... It's like a giant FSM manual on steroid's for s30's especially.

Be very careful when you post ... there is a significant amount of helpful member's and a handful of "Know-it-all's" member's ... take it in with a grain of salt ! :lol:

:)

• 1 month later...

No Prob !

You can find LT-1's bolted to T56's as well. Think 90's-ish firebirds.

I'm not entirely sure on the camaro's , but I'm sure they can be likely candidate's as well.

If you sign-up to Hybridz.org to look a pictures/thread's

word to the wise ... read ALL their rules 3x minimum

they are very strict.

Grammar is important

Putting your profile location is important.

^^^ I got warned on both :rolleyes:... even though everything else I did was to a "T" :lol: whateva

I rarely post their much anymore ... just soak in lol

Hybridz.org ... It's like a giant FSM manual on steroid's for s30's especially.

Be very careful when you post ... there is a significant amount of helpful member's and a handful of "Know-it-all's" member's ... take it in with a grain of salt ! :lol:

:)

yep lt1 on t56 on any 4th gen Camaro or firebird unless there v6 but in 97 or 98 they switched to the ls1 and that's your best bet the only thing you need to worry about is the rear end drive shaft and tranny tunnel mods but no big deal if you got the time!