610 Rear suspension. Need Help

REDnGOLD

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so are you actually trying to raise it? you can get shorter shocks as was mentioned before look for ones for an iroc z im sure there are also shorter versions out there

why do you want a 2 finger gap? i had no gap and i only cut 1.5 coils out of it but i have taller tires then you do

Yah. Iwant higher in d rear so i can put taller tires or run 15s wheels all around. How many coils does d OEM have? I dint know how much coils were cut off by previous owner (Sliding Creep). Frm the pix above, it looks like i still have 5 coils in d rear. & based on the pix i saw (not confirmed), there are 8 coils on the OEM.

Also, what year of Iroc Z's rear shock is compatible?

stock springs are 8 or 9 coils, you should check out pick your part on their half-off days close to where you live I saw a d50 truck with springs intact should be 50$ for both...

Also If you do end up going with the d50 springs just throw them on without cutting, then cut coils as necessary, I cut one full coil and have no gap on 14 in wheels

Edit:Nevermind read your other post grats on the new springs :thumbup:

if i do get those D50 springs, how much coils should i cut to leave me at least 2-finger gap?

This is near impossible to predict with any degree of accuracy. However the D-50 coil spring is about 500 pounds per inch at 6.5 active coils, 4" diameter center to center and a wire thickness of .625". Used in this configuration with a 510' cantilevered rear suspension a 500 pound spring is only 131 pounds at the wheel. As the rear and front spring rate should be a close match and as the fronts are only 80-90 pounds this rear is already too stiff. I would suggest that like most 510 suspension up grades, that it be raised. 300pounds is not uncommon. 200 a bit soft perhaps? I'm running 150 on my 710 and I like it for the street. (you can always make it stiffer but making softer means new springs and starting over)

Cutting one coil reduces the D-50 spring to 9.5" high with 5.5 active coils and raises the spring rate to 155 pounds per inch. When cut to 9.5” overall length, gives a ride height of 6.75” measured from the ground to

the flat of the rocker (just ahead of the rear wheel). According to the Dime Quarterly. Cutting down to 5 active coils gives 170 pounds per inch but the ride height may be too low now. If the ride height is too low but the firmness is acceptable just slip some rubber spacers under the spring. P/N 55036-

21000 about $5 each. This will raise the ride height but leave the spring rate the same.

This is trial and error so remove small amounts until you get the stiffness you want and then add rubber

This is near impossible to predict with any degree of accuracy. However the D-50 coil spring is about 500 pounds per inch at 6.5 active coils, 4" diameter center to center and a wire thickness of .625". Used in this configuration with a 510' cantilevered rear suspension a 500 pound spring is only 131 pounds at the wheel. As the rear and front spring rate should be a close match and as the fronts are only 80-90 pounds this rear is already too stiff. I would suggest that like most 510 suspension up grades, that it be raised. 300pounds is not uncommon. 200 a bit soft perhaps? I'm running 150 on my 710 and I like it for the street. (you can always make it stiffer but making softer means new springs and starting over)

Cutting one coil reduces the D-50 spring to 9.5" high with 5.5 active coils and raises the spring rate to 155 pounds per inch. When cut to 9.5” overall length, gives a ride height of 6.75” measured from the ground to

the flat of the rocker (just ahead of the rear wheel). According to the Dime Quarterly. Cutting down to 5 active coils gives 170 pounds per inch but the ride height may be too low now. If the ride height is too low but the firmness is acceptable just slip some rubber spacers under the spring. P/N 55036-

21000 about $5 each. This will raise the ride height but leave the spring rate the same.

This is trial and error so remove small amounts until you get the stiffness you want and then add rubber

Per Moog, the D50 springs(about 8 full coils) is 9" in height. so cutting it a coil would reduce it to maybe about 8". P/N 55036-21000: is this part number available in any autozone? So sorry to sound so ignorant.

stock springs are 8 or 9 coils, you should check out pick your part on their half-off days close to where you live I saw a d50 truck with springs intact should be 50$ for both...

Also If you do end up going with the d50 springs just throw them on without cutting, then cut coils as necessary, I cut one full coil and have no gap on 14 in wheels

Edit:Nevermind read your other post grats on the new springs :thumbup:

D50 springs has about 8 coils & is 9" in height. I cut one full coil and have no gap on 14 in wheels: i take it this is a D50 spring?

Per Moog, the D50 springs(about 8 full coils) is 9" in height. so cutting it a coil would reduce it to maybe about 8". P/N 55036-21000: is this part number available in any autozone? So sorry to sound so ignorant.

D50 springs has about 8 coils & is 9" in height. I cut one full coil and have no gap on 14 in wheels: i take it this is a D50 spring?

Yes, Also on my 610 it's not fully settled because I have barely moved the car since the D50 install (pushed the car on the lawn to wash it) so it might tuck in the fender a tad bit after driving it.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!

So i was working on replacing my rear-stock springs w/ a newer D50. I cut off an inch or a coil but.....shit!!!....how did you guys manage to put the springs back on?

20121010_160842.jpg

20121010_160855.jpg

20121010_160830.jpg

20121010_161045.jpg

i swear it wouldnt let tightened it any more. Maybe i shouldve cut off an inch 1/2 or 2? or maybe i need an pneumatic tools for this?

^^^What Bonvo said. You don't even need spring compressors to do it that way. The control arms should just fold all the way down and you can slip em in. If it gets in the way(I can't see how it wouldn't), you can unbolt the little rubber nub(the one that sits in the center of the spring) from the bottom of the control arm.