how to tell what front struts i have

realdiehl

i just purchased a 1970 510 and i am trying to figure out if the struts on the car are stock or if they are out of a 280z. the car came with a complete set of extra strut assembly as well so im trying to figure out which one is on the car. are there any measurements i can take or is the brake disk a certain size that i will be able to tell which is what.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the rotors are solid. well after looking a datsunmike pictures in looks like the ones on the car are original 510. the other set i have has bigger rotors but the hub is completely round not like the picture above of the maxima.the only thing i have is the strut assembly,hub and rotor.what do i need to use as far as brake rigging and calipers if i install the 280z strut assembly and i dont suppose the 510 calipers will fit on the 280z strut assembly..also it was laying on its side on my garage and one of them leaked out some fluid.does this mean that the strut is bad

the rotors are solid. well after looking a datsunmike pictures in looks like the ones on the car are original 510. the other set i have has bigger rotors but the hub is completely round not like the picture above of the maxima.the only thing i have is the strut assembly,hub and rotor.what do i need to use as far as brake rigging and calipers if i install the 280z strut assembly and i dont suppose the 510 calipers will fit on the 280z strut assembly..also it was laying on its side on my garage and one of them leaked out some fluid.does this mean that the strut is bad

You keep saying Z strut. No one uses 280z struts... not even sure they will work, wrong spindle angle, too long or simply there is no gain from doing so?

The '79-'83 280ZX struts ARE totally different and ARE used for swapping and this is well documented

Maybe it's time you took some pictures and posted them.

Z stuff has a different steering knuckle bolt spacing if I recall correctly. Pretty sure that's correct, because they don't bolt on for one reason or another and that would be the likely reason. Sounds like you may have 280ZX struts - they have a round hub face. The stock strut inserts are in an oil bath which isn't sealed within its own catridge - the outer strut tube is the casing for the oil bath. When you replace the shock insert with an aftermarket (Tokico, KYB, Koni, etc) it will be a sealed cartridge and you will drain the old oil out of the strut tube and simply insert the new cartridge (though some will recommend that you bathe the new cartridge in oil as well to promote heat transfer from the cartridge to the strut tube).