pre runner front coilovers? 720 lsd/locker?

bass

any one know of a front coilover that would fit a 1972 620? im trying to make a "prerunner" out of it, may lift it a little or keep stock height, but i dont mind spending a bit for a better more controlled ride. it also has a 720 rear end, where can i find an lsd or locker for it?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't find a coilover without extending the shock mount upwards.

Also, you want to maximize wheel travel if you want it to really be as much of a prerunner as possible, so keep that in mind.Just any plain coilover won't do that.

Place the transmission in neutral.

Raise one rear tire off the ground.

Carefully mark the driveshaft with crayon or chalk.

Mark the raised tire with chalk at the 12 o'clock position.

Turn the raised tire exactly 20 and have someone count the number of driveshaft turns. It won't be an equal amount so you will have to estimate as carefully as possible. The number of driveshaft turns divided by 10 is the differential ratio.

To make this more accurate turn the wheel 20 times and divide the driveshaft turns by 10 to get an answer. For example...

37 turns is 3.70

39 turns is 3.889

41 turns is 4.11

Almost 44 turns is 4.375

• Like 2

The 620 is not a great platform for a prerunner. been in offroad pretty much all my life. Used to help pit for the baldwins and their trophy trucks..anyways I got a 73 with hopes of building it into a full 1450 truck but the way the steering setup is on these trucks it makes it really difficult. there are also some major clearance issues with the suspension if you were to try and get a long travel kit made. If you got a crap load of money im sure it can be done, but these trucks are better for the street. I-beams may be in the realm of possibility, such as on that 521. but still, it would be a lot of work. I know you were only asking about coilovers, but thats just some food for thought if you were even considering somethin like this

im not trying to make it a real offroad prerunner with a lot of suspension travel, its guna be more of a daily driver road warrior/occasional sand dune trip with a 4wd look i want to run 31x10.5 15" mud tires on it and make the suspension better, i suppose just putting new shocks will help, but i was thinkn if it were relatively easy to mount some coilovers that would help suspension more? beebani said his coilover mount relocation kit would probly work with longer coilovers?

Well the thing is, sure coilovers will improve the ride, but you won't really be able to put a longer coilover on the truck due to the limited amount of up an down travel you will have with your stock suspension. You could probably make the shock mounts higher up and all that but if you go too much, you Risk screwing with your geometry.