620 rear end

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rear ends very rarely go bad. Be sure it isn't a U joint, damaged or out of balance tire or driveshaft or a bad axle bearing. Be a shame to go to all that work and find a bad U joint. What's it doing

got my truck down to a shop an my u joints are good but my rear end may be done for got a bent right axle an me an the guy at the shot thinks the noise is coming from there it didnt sound to good then i listened to it

I don't even know how an axle can get bent. If there is excess play and the wheel wobbles the bearing is likely gone. The cheapest easiest thing is to just get a right side axle and swap it. You could do this yourself. Bet you $10 there's nothing wrong with the axle.

I have it lifted right now an was checking everything for any Play an nothing I put it in forth while it's up an the right Wheel is moving around a lil my buddy's dad thinks a spider gear is going in my rear end but we are not 100%sure I don't really know anyone who knows datsuns real good an I am Kinda stuck in Portland till I fix it don't want to drive back to Vancouver

The sound is being amplified by the drive line has the distinctive ting from it my u joints are good but put a bar to the rear end an put my ear to it an it dose not sound happy in there don't sound like it's to any side really it dose go away but hard to get it to

How exactly did you test the u-joints ?

last time your u-joints were replaced/greased ?

The sound is being amplified by the drive line has the distinctive ting from it my u joints are good but put a bar to the rear end an put my ear to it an it dose not sound happy in there don't sound like it's to any side really it dose go away but hard to get it to

Please re-clarify that ? :blink:

:)

Sorry Kinda hard to explain the noise on a forum I have a hard time wording things. I dropped my driveline an my u joints are smooth moving an not sticking or binding took it to a drive line shop an we spent over a hour trying to find out what's going on he said my u joints are good but something is not sounding right in my rear end he had me listen to an it don't sound good it's making the noise as if my carier bearing surrounding is gone but it's fine the bearing is only 5 months old

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/2329-u-joint-replacement/

Ping sound, like a tiny hammer tap on the hollow drive shaft is classic U joint. This is a dry needle bearing jamming and popping loose. This will eventually start a steady squeal. U joints are cheaper and even easier to change. Make sure it's not a U joint.

Sorry Kinda hard to explain the noise on a forum I have a hard time wording things. I dropped my driveline an my u joints are smooth moving an not sticking or binding took it to a drive line shop an we spent over a hour trying to find out what's going on he said my u joints are good but something is not sounding right in my rear end he had me listen to an it don't sound good it's making the noise as if my carier bearing surrounding is gone but it's fine the bearing is only 5 months old

no worries.

ahhhhh I see ! Well that sucks !!

u-joints going out would have been a nice problem to have.

have you pulled the cover on the diff and inspect the ring gear/pinion ?

Check back-lash ?

If it is the a BIG problem with the rear-end ...

you are smart to get a good used spare one....

that's what I would do as well ...

but it's worth a shot diagnosing it first if you can spare the time and save money :). ( in a sense haha )

$150 for one is really not a bad price these days. $100 would be nice though.

As far as testing u-joints ,,,

I have taken HUGE industrial pliers and such ,,, as well as special homemade tools just for specific drivelines to test this ( fleet maintenance )

putting transmission in gear ,,, put it up on jackstands ,,,, and trying to twist my drivelines with the pliers to check for ANY slop/movement in them

I couldn't see/find any slop a specific driveline ,,, or see any new rust formation around the edge of the u-joint cups ( another sign )

yet when I pounded theu-joints out ,,, one u-joint had 1 cup that was completely dry/crumbled ,,,

pressed in new ones on my vise ,,, greased the suckers with the grease gun

and walla ,,, solved my issues

sounds good !

what does the back-lash of the differential feel like ?

Driveline bolts are tight ? ( 240z's ... over smaller periods of time or abuse ,,, quite a few bolts in drivelines/halfshafts/etc come loose ,,, as mine did haha )

Did you have vibrations through the floor-boards while driving ?

have you pulled the cover on the diff and inspect the ring gear/pinion ?

Unfortunately the H-190 uses a Salisbury type differential. There is no cover plate.

No vibration witch I Should have there is a good bow in my drive line

Your drive shaft is bent????

• Like 1

Well got my new u joints in while it was out took the diff apart an it's not good had metal shavings like No tomorrow pinion gear is missing some bite an after a lil I seen the pin that go's through the carier for the spider gears was out some Well it was snapped an was hitting the ring gear great day to spend my bday Lol but at least I checked it

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.