think the thermostat bad

Bambino

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Just tell them the Make/Model/Year and they should take care of you... make sure you note which bolt pattern your thermostat housing is. How many bolts keep it down... sometimes they like to give you the wrong gasket with it. Make sure the one you get looks like it will fit your housing.

If you are new to this.

While you're at the auto parts store pickup yourself some razor blades or a gasket scraped if you don't already have one.

It is a needed item. (One or the other).

Make sure sealing surfaces are very clean and DRY when you re-assemble.

I like to put teflon sealer on coolant related bolts ... but it is not really necessary. Just a personal preference that is above and beyond.

Have Fun.

If you are new to this.

While you're at the auto parts store pickup yourself some razor blades or a gasket scraped if you don't already have one.

I like to put teflon sealer on coolant related bolts ... but it is not really necessary. Just a personal preference that is above and beyond.

Have Fun.

As above, and, make sure you put the thermostat in the right way up.

You can check if your old thermostat is working by pulling it out and putting it in a cup full of boiling water ( it is Ratsun after all so I thought I'd give a cheap arse option). If its ok, the thermostat will open as soon as its dropped in the water, and close when it cools down ( you can take it out of the hot water using a pair of pliers and hold it under cold water).

Some other no cost options you can also try/ check:

Remove the bottom radiator hose and drain the radiator, then flush the radiator ( stick the hose in the filler neck). Don't forget to reconnect the hose and refill the radiator afterwards!

Is the airflow to the radiator blocked? Check for leaves and other debris which may have blown up from the road.

Are your radiator hoses in good condition? Old ones will degrade over time, and when hot will partially collapse thus impeding water flow and making engine run hotter. Easiest way to check is when the engine is cold grab the hose(s) and squeeze them. If they are ok they should feel firm when you grip them ( I'm really having trouble explaining this one)

You have checked the water is full?

Is there an overflow bottle connected to the radiator? If so, I generally like to have mine about half full.

Is the fan working? You don't mention if you have a thermostatic ( electric fan) or a belt driven/ pulley one. Make sure the alternator/ fan pulley drive belt is tight ( but not too tight)

Antifreeze/coolant can also help although this is not a no cost fix.

Also as Tristan mentioned, if you do buy a new thermostat make sure you get the right gasket to go with it.

Good luck

Jason

Spend $10 or so on a thermostat. Sitting on the side of the road because you saved $5 isn't worth it. Get good quality anti freeze/coolant, it will protect your cooling system and save money in the long run. Oh yeah the spring side of the thermostat goes down, towards the motor.

When I bought my 510 it had no thermostat. Unless I was doing 70mph on the freeway, the car ran like crap. My heater was also blowing out meh heat. Thought my thermostat was bad so I figured for a $10 part, was worth the check. Turns out I didn't even have one in there...

Threw one in (I choose a slightly hotter than stock thermostat) and it's been driving great ever since. That tstat cleared up a lot of crappy driving issues.

alright. well I took the housing off and there isn't a thermostat in there.. could that be bad driving without one?

and I've flushed the radiator, jus stuck on how there wasn't a thermostat in there

+1 for what the others have said.

Thermostats also slow the water flow down enough to allow it to spend sufficient time in the radiator so it cools properly.

People sometimes mistakenly think the car will run cooler without a thermostat so it's not too unusual to see a car without one.

Thermostats also slow the water flow down enough to allow it to spend sufficient time in the radiator so it cools properly.

I've never believed this. By this logic a motor without a thermostat will circulate water so fast it doesn't cool it and will run warm .... anyone who has found no thermostat has complained that their motor ran cool. I would say that the thermostat holds the water in the block longer so that it warms up.

If you are new to this.

Have Fun.

is there any type of sealant I use cuz when I put the housing back on with the gasket it was leakin from there.

Clean clean dry surfaces ... Than degrease ....and torque the bolts to about 10-12ftlbs ...

Do not overtighten !

I like to use "gasket sealer" aerosol. thin like water and its hard to get off. More of a personal preference.

A lot of people use RTV ...and it works fair enough .. but I would avoid if possible. Use a little bit if you do.

Going to tell you one time!

Buy some anti seize for the bolts. Thus helps it from rusting as most times the holes are full of water when people swap out the stat.

The stat is a generic 52mm I believe. It should say on it and write it down soemwhere in your book. One might run a 1/8 drill bit to help get rid of the bubbles better and a slight bypass if this doesnt already have a bypass. Im not a 1977 expert on what the head set up it.

Depends on the gasket manufacture on how thickit is I usually dont put anything on there. But I alway use Permatex 6B its a light blue. just a verythin application. Theres black and other colors But I HATE RED!!!!!!!!!!!

always buy 4 or 5 gaskets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would run aradiator flush in ther to get rid of the rust and when your done use a 50/50 mix of new stuff as this help preserve the aluminum timming cover(water cavitation will eat up front covers)

Persoanlly I see no stat will run cold in a cool area. If overly HOT it might run to hot. But I will assume the Prevois owner pulled it out cause he had proplems.

rockauto.com has parts and most parts stores still can get Datsun parts easily. Maybe take a day or 2.

olddatsuns.com!!!!!!!!!!

I will assume you got a good rad cap also

Make sure the gasket surfaces are CLEAN of old gasket material and not pitted from corrosion and a single gasket should be all you need. Avoid sealers... course they work but some day you will want to remove again and good luck getting it apart. Hainz GOOD TIP about the anti seize compound on the threads