Damn hookers!!

Naco1

Whats up rrratsun. I'm trying to throw in my hooker long tube header in the 620. I've read on this forum that it's a B*%&! To put in. It looks like the torsion bar is in the way, now I've twisted and turned this hooker every which way and it just won't go in. Anyone have any advice? Cut the flange maybe? Thanks guys

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice:

Don't do it. Long tube headers were designed for cars. If you ditch the torsion bar all together, it might fit, but you'll have no suspension.

The trucks need a shorty header, where the exhaust can be run between the torsion bar and the frame without hitting each other.

I ran a hooker comp header on my truck, ended up cutting it into pieces when i replaced it with an early L16 exhaust manifold.

I've got like a two finger gap in the front (205/55/15) and couldn't go any lower becuase of the header..... so i chopped it up..

What you may have is a header for a 510 or a 720 4x4, the headers for 620s have to "hug" the block to clear the torsion.

OK,we're talking a lot of years ago (late 70's) but I put a header on my 620 I had then. I believe it was a short tube-don't remember who made it.

BUT, i had to jack it up,and take the torsion bar loose and slide it back out of the way,as per the instructions that came with it. I tried to put it on without doing that,and there was no way it was going to fit.

bolted it on,put the bar back-bingo! It fit great.

OK,we're talking a lot of years ago (late 70's) but I put a header on my 620 I had then. I believe it was a short tube-don't remember who made it.

BUT, i had to jack it up,and take the torsion bar loose and slide it back out of the way,as per the instructions that came with it. I tried to put it on without doing that,and there was no way it was going to fit.

bolted it on,put the bar back-bingo! It fit great.

ME TOO!!! but it was a 521. Motor mount off, jack motor over, remove torsion bar... ended up heating it and bending to get a fit. Leaked, flange gasket needed replacing every three months (loose bolts), was loud. Could have lived with this but did not run any better. What a waste of $80 back then. Is it any wonder I go on a three paragraph rant about/against them including pictures. Never will I ever ever ever run a header again.

I have a cheap long-tube header on my L20b that is constantly blowing gaskets, even after spending five hours on it with a flat file and a straight edge. I also have a hooker long-tube header for the A87 head I'm building which seems more substantial, but I'm leery of running it too due to past experiences. That header is also stuck in a different truck and will not be coming out before the engine, so I'm thinking about an L16 mani. Does this, in anyone's experience, restrict flow on a performance build? 2.0+ liters, SU's, big ports and valves and a mild-ish cam... And a couple pics cause everyone likes those...

0531122243.jpg

0531122248.jpg

0817122237a.jpg

I built a header from scratch for my Honda CVCC and it's been doing great much better then the huge pumpkin shaped thing that was bolted up before, I would say chop it up and make it work if you want it, worst that could happen is you have to use a stock manifold, Building headers is fun. :D I've had a MSA header on my 260z as well and it never gave me any issues, Made decent power with all that I had done to the motor as well.

dudeman.

the early l16 non injector type is fine. you just need to make a Y pipe that feeds to a 2inch collector.

If truck key is the tersion bar routing.

Only other opetion is the short tube header from Top End Performance. I hqve one that I had ceramic coated as the blk pain they pu on is CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!! so youll spend over 225$ to get this + welding up a exhaust.

I persoanlly run a 1.75 in on my 510.

I cant remeber but the later 620 had a bug dpwnpipe siza anyway. Unfortunaly the exhaust manifold it hard to get the lower bolts and I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank in Everett(425 280 4747) might have a the early manifolds or Carter(425 275 7746)

M klotz make the exhaust manifold flanges also to make the new y pipes if needed

Lontube header on trucks?

Take them to get recycled. Just because they free dont mean your getting a deal.

Like getting a FREE Fiat car. I life of misery!!!!!!!!!!

get the manifold and bolt the y pipe on and get them ceramic coated as 1 pc as its cheaper.