pertronix ignitor paired with accell coil?

is it possible to run this set up? a buddy of mine with an ae86 runs accell and raves about the performance, so i would like to run it in my s30, from what i read on a Chevelle forum they say that it can work with the stock ballist resistor OR the ballist resistor that comes with the accell coil. idk if this would hold true with the s30 considering im kinda comparing a apples to oranges here...but can it work? or should i just run the pertronix kit on motorsport and run accell plug wires? idk im just lookin to squeeze as much power outta this with out droppin alotta $$$ ya know? im eventually going to triple 45s but for now im gonna rock SUs just for fun.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can but the Nissan EI coil is just as good and cheaper. Shiny after market coils are just like colorful fishing lures.... made to catch fishermen, not fish. Your friend is suffering from placibo effect. If you think it's better, it feels better. Get an EI coil and paint it red or yellow or w/e

'78 and up coil from just about any Datsun will work. Does not need a dropping resistor. You may find that your engine will run better with the plug gap opened up from 0.038" to 0.042" to take advantage of the more powerful voltage.

Hainz will know more about the Pertronix

I run a Pertronix with a BIG Super Coil and use the stock ballast and the ballst resisitor in the kit(.85ohm) in series.

Like the Pertronix instuction say you want the high resisitance system.

The stock point coil is fine with the stock ballast.

The Super coil is more Bling I think. But is a lower ohm value input and its supplied with a Ballast also for point type systems..

A pertronix is just a point conversion more for reliality and accuraccy than actuall HP increase. Than an actual HIGH out oput system. USE the stock GAP

As for the Plug wires buy the nice blue NGK wire sets.

On your buddy.

swap the old stock TOYOTA coil back in when hes not looking and he want know the diifference.

whats a matchbox?

A matchbox = distributor with the module mounted directly on the outside but the module looks like a "matchbox" at a glance.

The matchbox type distributor you would be using is off a 280zx N/a ,,, specifically with an e12-80 module ( consensus on here is that factory Nissan matchbox modules last longest and work best ! )

If you are converting a points dizzy to pertronix ,,,

I am going to heavily kick a dead horse on one issue ,,,

The distributor advance plate/cage and vacuum diaphram condition ,,,

usually the diaphrams are a-ok ,,, but the rest is not lol.

Nearly all my early s30 dizzy's are very well worn ,,, one with bad bushings

what worried me is stuck or hard to move advance plate ,,, I have taken apart and cleaned/polished lubed ,,, but it was only temporary until it wen't back to shit ,,, doh !!!

Had one installed in my 240z the day I bought it ,,, gave me greif until I inspected it ,,, changed it out for known good one ,,, wallla !!!

But who knows if you have a good one ,,, and budget ,,, use it ! :)

I guess another option is having one repaired for $100-$200 ish ?

Folks off hybridz enjoy converting the early s30 to 280zx e12-80 module distributors

I am not sure of the spring/weight curve advancement setup ,,,

but I have read on hybridz that some say it is more *aggressive* in the advancement curve itself ,,, ( some say they like and some say a little bit of difference compared to early dizzy's )

I would definetly take a good read there ,,, last consensus I read was " advance the timing way up and forget about it " type deal lol ( that's my opinion not fact ) regarding when running with Tripple DCOE's.

Bro now has Tripple DCOE's on his 240z

His Distributor is a Mallory Uni-lite with Mechanical advance and an Accel Coil (? I think)

Downside is Distributor is $300-$650 ,,, no joke lol ,,, keep your eyes peeled for a used on if you want !

He added 8mm Taylor ? Spark Plug wires

It made a pretty big difference just plug and play !

Mallory still sells parts/modules for 31-51 bucks.

Mallory even sells the spring/weight kits to re-curve your distributor for like $20ish.

It is a quality distributor no doubt

The cap is super thick ,,, and super expensive lol ( like 50 bucks lol )

I have never personally worked or tinkered on it myself ,,, I was watching bro ,,, it's his car ,,, we don't touch eachothers shit when we don't have to lol.

I would snatch one up though if it was a workable price for sure !!

I will say the pertronix is a good reliable unit to buy for everyday driving.

Everyone likes factory Nissan stuff. I personally do as well. The e12-80 matchbox zx distributor setup is a good one !!!

Either will work no doubt ,,,I would choose the zx matchbox e12-80 setup ,,, but pertronix works well !

Of course my first choice is the Mallory uni-lite ,,, but that costs $$$,

Some of this is simply my perception or opinion though :)

EDIT : Now that I think about it

I have a working 1979 e12-80 280zx distributor WITH the correct OEM EI Coil ,,, and a SPECIAL hot-spark brain box....

All of it worked excellent off a rusted out zx and should literally be a plug and play ( wires/plug ins for coil and hot spark brain box are still there ,,, I believe it's called an "ultra" ?hot spark box )

PM me if you're interested bro.