Scrape/Rattle From Transmission?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ggzilla it's a distinct clear scraping sound.

Heatshield ? ( not likely )

Are your u-joints grease-able and have they been greased ? (Just a guess ... Look for new rust formation around the

Cups ) I have done ujoint slop tests and visual inspections ... And still had a dry cup with no grease inside on my truck = ground up needle bearings. I have no idea ...

Check your output shaft bearing(play) If you have a tailshaft bushing check that to.

It seems to occur with axle wrapup more than anything ?

I'm not sure how much your driveline angle of lowering it where it is currently has an effect on u-joint life or in general ... Seems to be a likely place to look in anything associated.

Is your exhaust routed near any major components or too close ?

I would put the truck up on jackstands ... Intetionally load it down with some weight ... And see what rubs if at all

Sure as hell hope its not your trans ! I guess you could pull the drainplug and see how much of metal shavings treasures there be.

Throttle controlled? Engine torque is moving the exhaust pipe against something or engine/tranny is torqued over against something. Motor mount or tranny mount. Could be the shifter, speedo cable, loose tranny cross member, loose U bolt on rear diff, broken leaf spring

... means... update I'm happy????

haha ,,, nope ,,, short for a positive smile and hoping for an update :) ;)

Sorry guys, I have had a busy last 24 hours. She's in the driveway on ramps right now! And I think I found it. We will see later ;)

Cool ! I've been quite curious :hyper:

Alright so heres the deal,

I went over every inch of the truck, intentionally loaded with lots of weight. There's absolutely no play in the tailshaft bearing. U-joints are perfect and were replaced when I did my clutch about 8 months ago.

I was wondering if it might have something to do with my driveline angle, but I'm not educated well enough in that area to know what I'm looking for.

Motor mount and tranny mounts are brand new as of about 4 months ago.

My exhaust is routed right by the torsion bar, but doesn't look like it's been rubbing, however I found that it HAS been rubbing the axle in the back. I don't think this is going to be my issue because when I unloaded some weight, I recreated the same situation as before, had the same noise, but now have a slight whine from something. Well, not exactly a whine but I don't know how best to describe the sound.

_DSC0147.jpg

_DSC0149.jpg

:rofl: Truth sir. I was on my way home from work and didn't have a lot of time to talk. so I was trying to make time for both since I was on my break.

So here is a video of no talking and only noise. (starts at around :40 seconds) You can hear me coasting with my foot in on the clutch at about 30mph.

th_VIDEO0125.jpg

I kinda agree with the carrier bearing. While it's new, it's the only thing that hasn't been checked 100%. Would explain about where the sounds coming from too.

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't tracked this down, however I think I know what it may be. I was under the truck adjusting torsion bars and saw the paint was rubbed nearly 100% off of the driver side rear shock against the diff. Gotta figure that out and swap them around.

Just noticed today that my differential isn't sitting straight under the truck. My drivers side tire sits in further then the passenger. I went for a drive, parked it and noticed the opposite. I torqued the shackles tighter, but I'm pretty sure the nuts rusted itself to the bolt. I heated it up and soaked it in PB blaster but it didn't budge.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope! And today it's gotten much, much worse. I haven't yet tracked it down, but I believe my current problem is related.

This sound is coming from the left rear corner of the truck. Ignore the initial loud noise, that was me accidentally being a derp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JGx4X_3G9c&feature=share&list=UUmtK7i2ueGL2Lu09Qh_EQyw

Check if something might be hitting the exhaust or driveshaft. Or wheels possible too. I had a sound like that from a peace of metal that would dip down and hit one of my front tires. Or have you changed the gear oil in your rear end recently? Mine started making noises at certain rpms a few months before it failed

Spent the last2 hours under the truck, and there are absolutely no signs of anything rubbing. The sound is only the driver rear wheel and its very obvious. The diff has had the fluid changed twice since I got the truck a year ago and there were no shavings or signs of wear. This is pretty crazy. I've loaded the truck with weight, let all the air out of t shocks, and still nothing rubs. It's ONLY on decel with the clutch out

Did you have the sound last time you checked the diff? Mine failed because I dropped the clutch and somehow shattered the pin that holds the spider gears. I limped along trying to track down the noise for 3 months before it completely destroyed itself. Mine also only made noise on decell. And at first it was hard to make the noise happen when trying to track it down

About 2 months ago I drained/filled the diff and wasn't having this problem.

HOWEVER It is not diff, thank GOD. I loaded a bunch of people in the back of my truck and drive around the block, and we decided the sound is coming from the area of the carrier bearing.

But in order to have that sound from the carrier bearing there would have to be some degree of play right? I have absolutely no play from the carrier bearing.

Got it! Carrier bearing has som seriously gnarly play in it that wasn't there the other day.

Now, the carrier bearing is only about a year old. the insulator is new as well and in great shape. at this point though, do I order a replacement? Or is it worth just spending up for a one piece driveshaft? Right now, my driveline angle is pretty wicked