Yugo,I-go,we-go

I remember seeing a Tornado in '67? I was in high school. A neighbor 4-5 blocks away got it and drove it up our street, and I can still see it. It was a wine or burgundy color and was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. It was everything all other cars weren't yet not over the top ugly or too futuristic.

1966-Oldsmobile-Toronado-Jay-Leno-FA-1024x768.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still fascinated with the "push-link" drive system connecting the engine to the transmission !

Dude, you're over-thinking this one. It's not too different (the link portion anyway) from many transverse mounted transaxles in design. This particular one is basically a TH400 with a chain drive so it can make a 180*. The differential is attached to the very end.

Added side note: Several motorhomes from the 70s and 80s used this as their drivetrain too.

• Like 1

Are you just trying to mess with me? Every GM transaxle I can think of is chain drive. The only real difference in the TH425/TH325 family was the diffential being at the end which was necessary due to longitudinal engine layout. Even all the transverse transaxles are use a chain. Of course the differential design is different. So, while it may have been a GM first, I wouldn't call it unique.

• Like 1

Dude, you're over-thinking this one. It's not too different (the link portion anyway) from many transverse mounted transaxles in design. This particular one is basically a TH400 with a chain drive so it can make a 180*. The differential is attached to the very end.

Added side note: Several motorhomes from the 70s and 80s used this as their drivetrain too.

I guess I am overthinking it lol. I've never worked on a push-link/chain drive system or a motorhome (other than a little bit of wiring). I am a noob to these even though its old technology Haha.

Thanks for info ggzilla and Driven.

Right, most non-GM transaxles use gears. However, if you showed a "push-link" to anyone working in a transmission shop and asked them what it was, 99.8% would probably call it a chain. I guess if you want to get hung up on semantics you can expect a technical grammar trophy in the mail within 7-10 business days.

• Like 3