Headlights don't work, unless in "sweet spot."

cjzeppy

I went out to the car at sundown to see which of my lights do not work. I pushed the light switch up and only the rear lights work. When I finagled with the switch I found a spot where the headlights work, but the rear lights do not. Anyone have this issue? I think it's the switch itself.

Also, my turn signals do not work at all. Where should I look at first?

Thanks guys.

Chad

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say, so I'll assume it a 510 light switch. The stock one pulls out not up so do you have an after market switch?

The 510 switch is easy enough to remove... pull the switch out (towards you) and grip the stem with needle nose pliers close to the dash and push in (way from you) on the knob and twist. The knob will release and come off. Now unscrew and unplug the switch and remove it.

If you take your time and are careful you can bend the tabs back and take the switch apart and clean inside. Or just replace. Most switches should swap. There were changes in labeling such as the international symbol of a headlights back to text and the late '72s were lit up with fiber optics but should still work the same.

If your tail lights, side marker and license plate lamps are on, the front amber marker and running lamps should be on also.

Switch the 4 way flasher on.... does it work??? Make sure the 4 way switch is in the full OFF position or the turn signals won't work.

Find the flasher unit and swap with the emergency 4 way flasher unit. If the signals start working the flasher is bad. (or it may be missing) Has it ever worked????

As Don mentioned check and clean the fuse box contacts that hold the fuses. If not sure, replace the fuses, never trust them just because they 'look ok'.

You don't say, so I'll assume it a 510 light switch. The stock one pulls out not up so do you have an after market switch?

The 510 switch is easy enough to remove... pull the switch out (towards you) and grip the stem with needle nose pliers close to the dash and push in (way from you) on the knob and twist. The knob will release and come off. Now unscrew and unplug the switch and remove it.

If you take your time and are careful you can bend the tabs back and take the switch apart and clean inside. Or just replace. Most switches should swap. There were changes in labeling such as the international symbol of a headlights back to text and the late '72s were lit up with fiber optics but should still work the same.

If your tail lights, side marker and license plate lamps are on, the front amber marker and running lamps should be on also.

Switch the 4 way flasher on.... does it work??? Make sure the 4 way switch is in the full OFF position or the turn signals won't work.

Find the flasher unit and swap with the emergency 4 way flasher unit. If the signals start working the flasher is bad. (or it may be missing) Has it ever worked????

As Don mentioned check and clean the fuse box contacts that hold the fuses. If not sure, replace the fuses, never trust them just because they 'look ok'.

I've never seen the turn signals work. I will clean the fuse connections tomorrow after work. So if I switch the flasher unit of the 4 ways with the hazard lights, and they work, then my turn signal flasher unit is bad.

The past two nights it rained in the evening and night so I couldn't go out to the car. This morning I switched the flasher units and they both worked. SO the turn signal switch is bad?

Right now I'm soaking the fuse box in Vinegar, and purchased all new fuses. Still trying to pull the headlight switch out. Does anyone have a spare they are not using?

This morning I switched the flasher units and they both worked...

So you got it solved?

... SO the turn signal switch is bad?
How did you go from "they both worked" to this question? You can leave them swapped if that solves the problem. It really doesn't matter which can is used for T/S and which is used for Hazards.

No no no I wanted to check and see if both the hazard and turn signal flasher units (the big cylinders) worked, so I swapped them out and tried them on the hazard switch. Both times the four ways worked. So it would have to be in the switch itself, because I bought all new fuses, and if the hazards work then the wires are ok.

If the hazards work, then the hazard wires are OK. And -- most likely -- so are the Turn Signal wires (although there are T/S wires that are not part of the Hazard system).

If you can jiggle the Turn Signal switch and get them to come on, then the switch is loose or bad for sure. Remove the steering column cover and check the switch. Tighten it down (two screws from the side). If that doesn't help you can either clean or replace the T/S switch. You might even spot a bit of broken plastic in the switch.

Probably meant that both units worked in the 4 way.

Yes the flasher units work when they were attached to the hazard switch.

If the hazards work, then the hazard wires are OK. And -- most likely -- so are the Turn Signal wires (although there are T/S wires that are not part of the Hazard system).

If you can jiggle the Turn Signal switch and get them to come on, then the switch is loose or bad for sure. Remove the steering column cover and check the switch. Tighten it down (two screws from the side). If that doesn't help you can either clean or replace the T/S switch. You might even spot a bit of broken plastic in the switch.

I will take off the steering column cover and try to see if I can fix the turn signal. If not I will take it off and look for a new T/S switch.

The headlights I'm not sure what the issue is, because they work in the stated "sweet spot" in between the high and low beams. So If I replace the headlight switch that might solve the issue.

Thank you guys very much for your time and cooperation. Most people would of blew me off and said to go find a service manual.

So I would like to bypass the turn signal switch with a toggle switch. The previous owner has a toggle switch to run the fan, and I would like to make a small metal panel that will be able to mount the two switches under the dash.

So I would like to bypass the turn signal switch with a toggle switch. The previous owner has a toggle switch to run the fan, and I would like to make a small metal panel that will be able to mount the two switches under the dash.

Try to avoid this. You may know how it works but no one else will. Some day you may have to let someone else drive it and even with instructions in a panic situation they will reach for the lever just like every car made and it won't work. It's the same with people that have horn problems and stick some push button on the steering column. Good luck finding that in the dark when you need it to avoid hitting some idiot. Car controls and locations are more or less universal so try to keep them that way.

I feel like an idiot. I think this whole time I had the headlights on "high beams" because I moved the turn signal switch and the headlights worked. So my high beams, turn signals, and horn do not work. At least I have headlights! :D

• 3 months later...