Anyone here dabbled in stock trading?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real estate is tricky. I had a house in Salida CA and one in Los Gatos that I inherited. I sold them both in 2001 before the fall, back when real estate brokers were knocking on your door asking you if you want to sell and have a list of comps.

When I moved to TX I couldnt buy a house because the market wasnt at rock bottom. I waited to the point where I thought it would be at its lowest and bought my first TX house. I bought a new construction for 375k most of my neighbors paid 500k and up. Now my house is appraised at 355k so it obviously went down a little further. With the interest rates so low right now everyon should be buying the most house they can afford. Wait out the slump and sell when it jumps back up. The only draw back with TX is the high property taxes, but I am exempt due to my Military Disabled Status. I save well over 9k per year in property tax.

DanielC has given some good advice.I no longer contribute any IRA funds to the stock market.Wall streets intentions are to make themselves rich,they arent here to help us.Invest wisely if your not rich.Investing in stocks is a long term thing if you want something when your older.I have two friends who day traded a lot,they were doing good but now both of them have lost their homes to foreclosure.Dont assume mutual funds are all that safe either.Ive got two,one is low risk and one is moderate risk.They were worth a lot more when Bill Clinton was president,where are my gains after all these years ?