kyb vs tokico rear shocks for 510

wat

My rear shocks are shot and eventually I will get coilovers but its not a priority right now. So I'm looking at replacing my rear shocks with just some non adjustable nothing fancy ones.

Looking at andysautosport they sell both kyb ($23) and tokico ($50) each. A big price difference. Can anyone chime in with their exp with either one? $22 seems really cheap but kyb is a good brand so I don't see much that can go wrong, but maybe someone can say something different?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just installed some KYB struts and Eibach springs in my 240z like a week ago. Love they KYB's for daily driving.

My old 240z had Tokico springs and struts in it. Combined with small tires and poly bushings = stiffer ride (which I loved)

I personally wouldn't hesitate buying KYB's especially on a budget. Consider installing new springs at the same time if possible (worth it).

I sure as hell would not buy no name's haha (pulled those out of a few cars = :shit: )

Make sure to get the gland nut tight!

Sorry I know yours is a 510 :).

i have always used tokico. not on a Datsn yet but on everything else i have driven. I love them. I likes the blues. but i loved the illuminas. they are the white adjustable ones. They are a good quality shock in my opinion. If it was me? I would spend the little extra on tokico's

If those are my only choices, I'd go with the Tokikos.

If you actually want some shocks you won't have to replace in a year-throw up some better options.

Those Tokikos and KYBs are nothing more than a cheap OEish replacement.

Tokiko blues being hands down better than the KYB GR-2s.

Word flatcat.

I do personally prefer the Tokico's (blue) http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PSDC02B as well ... but $$$ came short for me this last time so I sprung for the KYB cheapo's. Once they blow out I will look at other options lol. For now the cheapy kyb's ride nice for me :lol: ... That's actually really good to know ! If they go bad that fast on me .. then I will def look harder at next candidates and switch lol. :) Thankyou!

I do like the Eibach progressive springs in my 240z though.

I had a leaking Tokico Blue front left drivers strut a few thousand miles after I installed it. Granted ... I had been harder on the car around that time (street/freeway) = higher speed driving ... faster cornering ... accidental pot-hole incursions lol.

Yup yup ggzilla!

Banzai510 ... it's interesting you say that. I know a guy that installed some cheapy KYB'S on his 69 chevelle 396 ss. 2 blown/leaking right out within one week ... they were correct application to ... lol .... of course racing it from 0-billion miles an hour might have had something to do with it (all that weight) :rofl:

I honestly personally don't have enough knowledge on what's really what or combo's/adjustment's work best.. all I know is = bad strut comes out and new strut goes in ... it's nice not to have your ride squat/slam the tire wheel well/and dance all over when you hit a SMALL bump/pot-hole in the road ... :rofl: (sagging springs/ 1 non-existent bump-stop :blink: /BLOWN strut and leaking strut on other side in rear end of said car ^^\) :lol: ;) Drives like new now though lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that Tokico is the better choice of the two, simply because I believe in the "You get what you pay for" theory in applications like this. however, I see you're plannin on gettin coilovers soon enough, so... f*ck it, get the cheap-os! :thumbup:

Pick up hainz's pair and call it good, they will last so long as the car isn't lowered more than an 1". Anything more than that on stock length and they blow out.

That doesn't sound like a very good deal... Because I can recall hitting a speed bump or two a little too fast and getting the rear to squat more than an inch... and from what you said, that would=rear shocks blowing out... :geek: