Motors, Engines That Might bolt stright in 74 620

Hey guys, I'v got a 1974 620. Motor in it is on its last legs and I want to replace it. I don't realy care what I put in it as its just a runner. At the moment it has a Push rod motor. Most of you will already know this. I just wont somthing that will bolt in without to much hassel. Thx guys.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....?

first off welcome to ratsun!

and maybe introduce your self so you wont end up wit a thread full of

motors.jpg

nice one freak btw

and do some google/ratsun searches. if you need the truck every day yes buy a motor and drop asap, if not re-build it and get to know your truck and build a relationship with her/him, that way in the future if any funny noises come aboot you can diagnose quickly and efficiently!!!

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Or for you canadians, the L13 will bolt straight in too.

SINCE WHEN DOES A L-SERIES BOLT IN PLACE OF A J-SERIES!?!?!

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Jacob^^

I am confused, did the later J blocks and the L blocks share the same engine mounts in the 620s sold overseas?

No. People are just assuming he has a L motor already. They are either not accustomed to the Aussy 620s having a J15 in them or that the OP is in Australia.

OP, J15 and most likely the J16 would work, probably the J20 as well.

No. People are just assuming he has a L motor already. They are not accustomed to the Aussy 620s having a J15 in them.

OP, J15 and most likely the J16 would work, probably the J20 as well.

10-4 rubber duck

• Like 2

Hey guys, I'v got a 1974 620. Motor in it is on its last legs and I want to replace it. I don't realy care what I put in it as its just a runner. At the moment it has a Push rod motor. Most of you will already know this. I just wont somthing that will bolt in without to much hassel. Thx guys.

well youll be lookin for something of the same...

if you have a pushrod engine, and are in oz, then it should be a J15 you have..

another J15 will bolt right in.. maybe you can import a J18 from mexico..

the L-series (L13,16,18,20b) have different motor mounts compared to the J-series. J-series have kind of a saddle type motor mount towards the timing cover on the engine.

also the transmission bellhousing is not of the same shape, nor do the holes line up... so youll also be lookin to get a transmission if your planning on a swap.

overall, i think people need to read a little better.

hope this info helps

• Like 1

OK, it depends on what kind of mounts your current engine, likely a J15, has. J-series engines had 2 different mounting systems. Early J-series were mounted ONLY with saddle mounts up front, by the timing cover. Later J-series, particularly J16s, had side mounts not entirely unlike the L-series engines. However, they still had the ability to mount at the timing cover too.

So, if you have saddle mounts by the timing cover, you can use ANY 4-cylinder J-series and it will simply bolt in. J13, J15, J16, J18 if you can find one. The latter 2 are fairly rare, the 1st one is smaller than you have now.

If you have side mounts, you can't use the J13 since it doesn't have them, but it would have been pointless anyway since it's a smaller engine.

If you want an engine with more power and a little more modern than the 1950s era J-series you'll need to do some fabrication of mounts, possibly a modified oil pan of the new engine, and of course need a new transmission and likely a shortened driveshaft.

All that said, I've heard, but cannot confirm, that the frame mount pads for the 620 were the same whether or not it was a J or L series truck. Once all the bolt-on parts are removed you could bolt on the L-series type in the J-series type's place. However, this may not be true and the only way to really know is to see both side by side. You would still need the different transmission of course.

Steroid on here has a formerly Mexican 620, which had a J-series originally (though he did not get an engine with it) and I believe he could check, if he hasn't already.

• Like 1