Sohc ka ---->79 210

GM & Ford axles are proven with lots of aftermarket support. from what i can find the supra rears are 7.5" ring gears so it would only make sense for them to be smaller and a axle lsd combo is $1500 from weir performance :confused:

lol late model supra are 8 inch ring gear just like the 4x4 or some 2wd toyota 8 inch diffs everything can be improved with aftermarket parts.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But maybe Nissan was just ignorant when they fitted R200 - didnt they know the R160 was strong enough?

Funny, but no. Quite often the diff they used for each specific application was overkill.

Except the 210. :P

Honestly, I think the engine size driving it is less important that the weight of the car and the size of the tires on it.

Example: A VG-powered 210 with 195 tires and a stock diff versus a VG-powered 300ZX with 245 tires and an equivalent diff to the 210. Which one is killing the diff first? My money is on the Z.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks man, shes in the garage for the winter, has developed timing chain rattle as I re used the chain/tensioner, and the clutch started to slip under boost, which is expected lol. so I got a spec stage 3 6-puck and 12lb flywheel sitting on the bench thatll go in when I pull it this winter and redo the chain, clutch, metal hg and arp headstuds..... It never ends haha.

I feel ya bro...I actually have 2 of these cars back in my home country(Trinidad). I sold my 1980 round light model earlier this year when I went home and bought an 81. then I bought my 1980 back...I just can part with it...its my first car I ever owned. id love to get one here too and hook it up like yours

• 1 month later...

best thing about this engine is that it came in this shitty 240sx i bought and wasn't really taken car of and had a lot of stupid issues, so i sold it to him for $100 for this swap..  it then turned out to have ka24de forged pistons and cryogen'd rods  :hmm:  .. thing was about to blow up tho, idiots who had the car before me tried starting it without oil and all the coolant jackets were full of garbage lol

• 3 months later...

hmmm. you know it will clear the pan? 

I know it clears the Z20E pan with room to spare (about 2.5" last I looked), and the KA24E pan is only about 1.5" longer? I haven't tried it myself yet, but it certainly should fit.   ^_^

If you can find one with minimal hassle, it's worth a shot?

fucking awesome.!!! I love your car, I can't wait to see more of it.

Havent posted in a while but been hard at work on the ol datsun haha. dont have a printout but upped the boost a lil and she made 230hp, 275 lb ft of torque  :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Well, its been a while, broken my axle (spider-gears, finally the axles) in various ways. Surprisingly the stock diff held up to over 250lbft for about a year.

Finally decided to do something for a more lasting solution. Got a volvo 740 dana 30 for 75 bucks at the local yard.

Fabbing it up.

IMG_0381_zps33fb60ee.jpg

IMG_0383_zps22ca2291.jpg

IMG_0386_zps7a6538b7.jpg

IMG_0388_zps24471331.jpg

Yea the stock one did hold up fairly well for ka power, then after alot of abuse with some boost it broke spider gears( took 6 months to break it) then I welded it. finally broke the axles. I believe this dana 30 should hold up better. wish I could have found a 165 but datsuns are sparce around these parts. closest one listed on a parts finder was PA...  volvo dana 30s use same 27 spline axle size as front of a jeep cherokee so should take some abuse. 

Measuring. alot. haha. I actually debated making up a jig that could be then shipped to other people doing the same process making it repeatable and less daunting. someone needs to cut off the underside of the floorpan and make one haha. anyway the 4 links bolted up with a lil coaxing and measures the same front wheelhub to rear wheel hub on each side. axle is a lil to the left, but was like this before with stock axle, always sat a lil crooked. I know its not my mounts because theyre the same distance from the outside etc. 

So I started making a panhard bar to fix that and because I should have one anyway. Will post up pics of that when its done.

The dana 30 is about 5 inches wider to the ends of the axle tubes.( havent checked the drum brake vs discs difference.) 2.5 on each side. so yea its wide. just gonna cut out the fenders and put on z flares but it looks pretty monstrous sitting underneath the car haha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yea pics of it sitting haha. got it running, axle worked out great, lots of hook power. Installed aem fic and tuned it alot better, pulled out a bunch of timing which it really liked...... then I blew a headgasket for the 4th time this summer.... 

This winter Im building a new block from scratch, hopefully done the right way. metal hg with all associated machining, arps, new forged pistons 8.1, finishing up my solid lifters, and a cam.

Will definitely be documenting as I go, maybe some before and after dyno runs with cam etc in the spring time. goal is somewhere between 3-350