L20b thermostat housing question (custom application)

OK, another wonky question for you guys.

I'm doing an L20b in my 510 with a custom radiator. The way it's set up, the thermostat housing (water inlet) is going to necessitate that I use a really weird-shaped radiator hose (which will have 2 really sharp turns, and likely contact my distributor as well).

Is there another thermostat housing (that will fit the L20b) that has the water outlet pointing off to the side, or at any angle OTHER than pointing straight forward?

I'll post up a pic of what I'm working with tomorrow, but the radiator placement and engine placement (duh) are non-negotiable... so, I'm looking for a slick workaround.

Help a brotha out? Ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MOPAR Aluminum V6 thermostat housings have the correct 2 hole spacing and bolt hole diameter. Look in the JY and see if the direction of pointing avoids your cooling fan. I will bring one to the Queen Mary but I think you need it sooner.

I would need a photo of the situation first, but I tend to have the radiator upper connection moved to a more user friendly position if nothing else works.

There are other ways, but they are not easy and require fabrication.

The later L equiped 521 has a upper hose with 2 sharp bends that kinda wrap around the distributor, are you familiar with the 521?

Hey Wayno -

I don't really have the option of relocating the upper radiator connection (brand new Ron Davis radiator), and the more I look at it, there's really no benefit to "clocking" the water neck - it would point at the distributor, the carbs, or the valve cover, haha...

EDIT: I just looked at a '72 521 radiator hose - I'm not seeing any "sharp bends", it's more of a lazy S-curve...

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=2387&imageurl=http%3A//www.rockauto.com/info/Gates/20776-1.jpg

Worst-case scenario, I'll cut it in the middle and add a solid piece in-line to lengthen it. Might be a neat spot for a temp sensor or a bleeder valve or something...

That might work if reshaped, but this is what I am used to seeing.

DSCN1610.jpg

There isn't a lot of room, so there are two 90 degree turns with an overall length of 6 inches front to back, a 5 inches outside to outside.

Anything can be moved if it has an upper and lower reservior, I do it all the time.

I had a similar problem with a Griffin aluminum radiator in my V8Z. I cut the fitting off the radiator and had it welded on at a different angle. Find someone with a TIG welder and they should be able to move things around on either end to make it easier.