Tranny finally quit

My tranny hasn't been soo good. I have an extra 4 speed but I want to put a 5 speed in so I was holdin out. But not anymore... I was driving in a parking lot today and there was a bang and the gears caught. I drove a little down the road and it would go fine than catch hard and one time it almost stopped. Then I got a tow truck to get home. So I guess it's time for the extra 4 speed.

Sounds like the tranny right? Or could it be the rear end?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if not trans rear end. i have destroyed many l series transmissions and never had one do that. usualy they get so bad they dont shift or so loud you cant stand to be in the car. I take it it rolls fine in nutral ? go to pick and pull and look for a non turbo zx trans or a 78 79 620 or you could find a 720 5 speed and swap the bell but i am not sure if you would have to shorten drive line length.

oh or you could use a 80 720 5 speed they had l20b's in them.

That's what my pickup has done a time or two. Bang and then it won't go forward, back up a bit then it gets free. No growling/howling/whining thandfully. Haven't found the cause yet. Inspected the brakes, they look fine. So it's probably the rear end or transmission.

Just drain it.... If fucked, it will be obvious. If not, well you probably haven't checked the level or changed it or the tranny by the 'sound' of it so you can change it now. :lol: :lol: It should have two liters in it not two cups.

Well the rear end is for sure the problem but the fluid was up to the fill hole. Could changing the fluid really stop it from catching?

Not likely, but since it's a 620, you have a lot of choices in the wrecking yards, any 620 or 720 pumpkin will fit in your rearend housing, you just have to find the gearing you want.

It is likely you have something getting into the gears, a bolt head from the ring gear, a tooth off one of the gears, you can pull the pumpkin out and find out, but I would have a rear pumpkin already ready to put in before I pulled it apart, that way it's a remove and replace situation.

There is a chance that the gears were not damaged, and you might be able to fix yours, but you have to pull the pumpkin to find out.

Floor jack? It's not that heavy. If need be use a milk crate and some 2x4s and ease it out. then let it down.

Bolt it back up temporily, remove the four bolt behind each axle and pull them out. You will need to undo the brake lines and e-brake cable ends.

On the 620 you should be able to leave the e brake cables on, (barely) and slide the axles out just enough to disengage the splines. The hydraulic brake lines will have to be undone and the brakes bled when you are done. Support the axles so they don't rest against the grease seals inside the axle tubes.