First Project Car- '77 280z auto-x/track car

I'm looking at ordering some bassett steelies for my 260z, but i'm in a bit of a pickle... 

The 15x11 come with a 4.5" backspace  (the same as a -38 offset), but you said they were 15x11 -15..... Which equates to about a 5.4" backspace... 

So did you buy the 4.5" backspace for the rear like you said earlier, or the 5.5"? Because if you're running the 5.5's i don't think i'm gonna fit the 4.5's back there...  :blush: 

I would also like to add that your car is what made me pull the trigger when I was looking at mine, and it has been a complete inspiration for my build. I'm trying as hard as I can not to copy you, but it's hard when yours has turned out looking so fantastic. It also doesn't help that i'm from the PNW as well..... but whatever, my cars blue, so that's enough diversity.   :rofl:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at ordering some bassett steelies for my 260z, but i'm in a bit of a pickle... 

The 15x11 come with a 4.5" backspace  (the same as a -38 offset), but you said they were 15x11 -15..... Which equates to about a 5.4" backspace... 

So did you buy the 4.5" backspace for the rear like you said earlier, or the 5.5"? Because if you're running the 5.5's i don't think i'm gonna fit the 4.5's back there...  :blush: 

I would also like to add that your car is what made me pull the trigger when I was looking at mine, and it has been a complete inspiration for my build. I'm trying as hard as I can not to copy you, but it's hard when yours has turned out looking so fantastic. It also doesn't help that i'm from the PNW as well..... but whatever, my cars blue, so that's enough diversity.   :rofl:

Hey! I checked back through my invoices from purchasing the wheels, I did buy 5" back spacing on the wheels. Not sure where I remember getting the -15 number, but my invoice from the shop say 5" backspacing. I bought mine from Circle Track Supplies, they have every option imaginable for rim construction. 

Looking further at the invoice my fronts (15x10) have a 4.5" backspacing, but if you are planning to do that size, unless you are running the AZC quick steer knuckles, I can't vouch that they will fit. I would bump the front backspacing to 4" both for clearance and for a better match to the rears. Always thought they looked a little sunk by comparison. 

So there, now you have all the info to go forth and spend money! And I wouldn't worry about ripping my car off, as I hardly look at my car and think it is original in appearance! Its the little touches that set them apart!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Brought the heap out on saturday for its first drive of 2014! Had to bring it to the annual tech event for the auto-x season. Went well and nothing serious broke! It was raining which is always exciting. Since I don't have a heater, the windows get a little foggy and the paper towel method is crucial, if you want to be able to see! I really need to invest in some Rain-X. Driving was good though, forgot what a blast it is to drive. The LSD will take some getting used to! Very chirpy under acceleration. Needs to get dry so I can go and drive it properly!

My room mate took a new photo of it though, so have some eye candy until I post a real update.

1620685_510947165689355_847442505_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Those Gotti wheels look killer! You're going to love autocrossing with an LSD. I started a season 3 yrs. ago with an open diff and then switched in my 3.9 LSD. what a difference in control. Before I looked like a tail happy drifter and then became much tidier and quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

SO!!!! With all the annoying back story out of the way, here is this week on the car! the manual swap is done, thanks to a AZC lightened flywheel and some other fun toys. No photos of the swap cause I'm lazy! And swapping transmissions isn't exactly exciting.

I did get bored one day and decide that i needed to spend money i dont have, which resulted in this...

7469809414_f6d5fe5d48_b.jpg

GOLD WRAPPED HARNESS!!!!!!! In the background, you can see the offending cycinders/lack of header oxidation on #1 and #5. The main reason for this most recent teardown!

I also did a TON of work on the intake. I found a junkyard '76 with a non EGR intake and decided to shave it. Also started the conversion to an s14 throttle body, for the cleanliness. That and linkage throttle is dumb haha. Got it shaved and welded up and powdercoated. the powdercoating was done by a friend of mine, and while he is a nice guy and didn't charge me for it, it does look now like the intake manifold is made out of clay! High performance ceramic anybody?

7469791744_53139fc2ea_b.jpg

7469791186_39917cd5a4_b.jpg

Oh well, it looks way sicker than the stock cast manifold and there's no fun in being too serious about these things so screw it! You can also see the new fuel rail made by Mr. Pallnet complete with pressure gauge! Very exciting things.

I also added a wool sock to the engine bay....

7469790784_bac43d7886_b.jpg

So between the wool sock header and the clay pot intake I'm doing pretty good!!

Got a chance to refresh the steering rack bushings and after much torching, the tie rod ends gave it up and those got replaced. Once its running again, might actually have some steering potential!

Does your engine run ok with a breather on the valve cover? I've read a lot about EFI setups not liking that so much.

Does your engine run ok with a breather on the valve cover? I've read a lot about EFI setups not liking that so much.

I haven't had any problems with it. Initial startup is a bitch but I don't think that is a result of the breather system. Revs just find, and idle is good so I'd say it runs ok!

Update time! Been lots of time and no real work so car developments have been slow. Decided to go on vacation instead of sitting on my butt!

Family had planned a trip to Iceland, must say I was impressed with their trucks!

13655477395_3f5d354a95_c.jpg

TONS of trucks like this. Lots of old Land Rover Defenders on 44's. Note the convenient normal SUV for comparison. 

Anyway, was a great trip, if any of you have the chance to go over there I highly recommend it. Came back with just enough time to get some work and then mount up the race tires for a PCA event two weekends ago!

13655832524_d1a21b9f09_c.jpg

Had a bit of a problem fitting them in the car! Stupid small car problems. Also took the seat out, saves weight and now I can put a real seat in there! Need a seat for adult sized people so I can have an instructor ride with me when/if I do a track day.

Couldn't drive like this so I had to figure out some useful solution. Enter my friend Perry and a small trailer he had lying around. 

13655485065_f4d23b2ac5_c.jpg

TOW BAR TIME! Friend of mine works at a shop and gave me the bends for free. Lined up initially, and was winging it on the height. 

13655518283_0a855fdaf1_c.jpg

Added a drop bar to get the hitch level and then boxed in the hitch plate. 1 7/8" ball. Comes off with 4 bolts, and with my new impact gun I can take it off at the track in about 10 seconds. Its just tubing and not DOM so I'm not keeping it on the car for bash bar purposes. 

Great easy solution. Also spent some time to paint the rear tail light garnishes. my chrome was all pitted and there was crap overspray on the plates so I cleaned them up and made it all nice and pretty.

13655522663_4d9d969825_c.jpg

Car all set up! Trailer looked pretty ok, but needed some love. The plywood was all weird and I wasn't loving the red. That toolbox and tire mount setup is legit though. Easy to move fully loaded by myself

13655849104_cdbfdacedc_c.jpg

Little more flat black and some gold paint to match its daddy! I've since painted to plywood. Redid the wiring too, just have to add the wiring harness to the car now. 

Officially race season, so the updates will mostly (and hopefully) be about racing stuff and not about building the car! 

And finally, some eye candy from the PCA event. Just the parking lot though, don't have any action shots yet!

13655854484_a2d6e708d4_c.jpg

13655852634_7e190f3fb6_c.jpg

And super secret bonus, I made a little welding cart!

13655857404_5ba999ea52_c.jpg

• Like 2

this car gets me so freaking pumped to finish my project! GAH! those last few pictures are tits!

on another note, did you check Summit and Jegs for the fittings? if not, you may just have to run a step fitting on each end.

only thing i found, not sure its what you need though

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-74748b/overview/

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/regulators/efi-regulators/13301-universal-bypass-regulator/

This is the FPR I'm using, just has 3/8" NPT on it, so it was easy to go to barb fittings at a hardware store. You might also try Pegasus Racing, they have a pretty good fittings selection.

And thanks for the love guys! More motivation to do dumb things with it. 

If you can, adding an angle to the welding cart/wings on the side will make it really nice if you accidentally bump it.

I could be totally wrong.... but, it looks as if the feet of the welder sit on the inside edge of the cart, holding it in place.

The feet of the welder do somewhat sit inside the frame, but I've got some angle iron to keep the welder in place. Still need to think about what I want to do on the access door side. 

Instructing at an auto-x event saturday and racing on sunday. Should be a fun weekend! Will try and bring a camera this time and get some good snaps.

• 4 weeks later...

Already may?!?! Wow! So a quick recap of the past few weeks. Done a few events, the SCCA event was awesome, got to drive a STI and a FRS. Still like my Z better, particularly with its sticky tires, WOW! Porsche club event a two weekends ago was less exciting, was wet so I didn't break the slicks out right away, but after discovering that my front tires had the grip of a cafeteria tray, I figured slicks couldn't be any worse. Was overall a greasy day, one guy driving an evo tried to save a spin and ended up in a guard rail. Not pretty, but a good gut check to stay in control.

13933392909_217d15a177_z.jpg

Dude did a pretty good number on his rig. Stay in control kids!

My brother got me an awesome late birthday present, some APR GT3 carbon mirrors. Needed some custom work (as usual) to get them in the right spot, but they look pretty sweet!

14116749241_03d1b6910f_z.jpg

quick snap with the mirrors on. Also put some wider rear tires on, 255/50 BFG Sport Comp2s. They fit nicely, but the 50 series sidewall is MASSIVE. Running into fitment issues again, and don't have an easy way out of it. 

13933394039_73b033b9e8_z.jpg

In other news, thinking about selling my airdam with splitter and rear wing setup. The splitter is HUGE and not shippable, but we can talk. Any takers out there?

14117003782_8a639f8edf_z.jpg

I am greatly interested in the front as I fell in love with the aggressive look the moment I saw it! ....I am however located in central Florida.....not sure if want to really ship

Did a rough guestimate through greyhound to orlando (central ish right?) and it came up with ~$70. Not so bad. If you're interested shoot me a PM. 

Working on a custom hood sitch this weekend, should be exciting. Photos to come!