Newbie with first Datsun

ScorchVMasakr

Hey there, guys. Just managed to get a mostly complete Datsun 620 five speed for basically.. Nothing. Trying to find little things here and there while I work on getting all of the rust damage repaired. Back cab mounts are completely rotted through, rockers are gone, half the bed's gone. It's what alot would call a fustercluck. Fortunately, it runs like a champ, and it's got a brand new clutch and brand new brakes. Unfortunately, my camera has disappeared in the chaos of my room, but as soon as I can, I'll have pictures up showing original state and progressive ones as I build it back. So far, the only piece I need is the leading edge of the hood trim. Everything else is there, and the front bumper is in awesome shape. Thanks for all your help~. Love the tiny thing so far.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on the pics, but she's in pretty rough shape the more I pull apart. Rockers are shot, body-mounts are shot, floors are shot except for the seat risers and beneath the seat. Under the hood has some rust holes, fender mounts are rusted, core support is rusted. The Driver's side door doesn't even line up because of the body-rot. x~x; Looks like it's time to start fabricating, unfortunately. I've found a couple more parts I need, one of which would be the rearview mirror since the original's rotting away. Bright side! Nothing looks like it's been terribly touched, so there's no ghetto-wiring, and nobody else's screwups to clean before I can really get started. So far list of parts is.. Hood nose trim, rocker sill plates, and a turn signal switch. Original is shot. Gonna be a while before this girly's on the road. At least a few weeks for Primer state.

Okay. So I have a.. Possibly slightly crazy idea. But what the Hell, it's some parts I can easily get my hands on down the road. I was considering doing a full suspension swap from a 280ZX for the independent rear and for the lower, meaner stance. I was wondering if anyone's attempted anything like this before? Hell, if it works out right, might even consider swapping in some kind of Godly Inline six motor for absolute street destroying speed. ...Yes I'm just a little crazy, and I know that all of this requires serious fabrication and bending the dimensions of the cab's insides juuuust a wee bit. But it would be fun to try. If anyone's ever attempted either of these before, please let me know! And yes, I of course mean the wonderful RB26DETT with a GTS RWD 5-speed. Would honestly consider the AWD too, if anyone had a complete GT-R front clip for sale in the fuiture? Anyone?

damn, that didn't take long... the force is strong with this one...

just make sure and then make sure again you got the $$ and the ability to pull it off before you send 3 more datsuns to the scrap yard, but I'm rootin for ya!

look up ggzilla on here, haven't personally met him but he seems to be fairly in the know about the kinda stuff your thinking about... based on my experience as a professional lurker..

All the parts I'd be using would be from a local junkyard that specializes in Z cars. Most are too rotted away to be even remotely repairable, but alot of the suspension is salvageable, might end up with a set of Z31 buckets to throw into the little truck, too. Wondering if I'll have to stretch the chassis and cab for all this. xD

WOW that's some aggressive, structural rust :crying: That poor sheetmetal.

Is this to be a parts truck?

--Ray

Maybe to you. Some of us are capable of a little more fabbin'. xD Trust. We bring back Mustangs that are in far, far worse condition. It runs, it drives, it's got brand new brakes, a brand new clutch, and fifty eight thousand original miles. It'll be back to usual in a few weeks.

I could see spending all that time reviving it IF it were special to you in some way (family members orig truck or even a memorable date with a voluptuous cheerleader....etc lollolzz) BUT seriously, that kinda rot is terminal and it's gonna be found in places you haven't seen yet ;(

Okay. So the sheet metal isn't going to cost me anything to repair the whole truck. It's all free. The welding wire and gas is eighty bucks a pop to fill the machine. I have access to a one ton sheet metal break and a twenty ton sheet metal break.. So.. I dunno where you guys are getting figures for for rebuilding it. But it doesn't cost me a whole ton of money. So.. Let's see. Free truck. Free sheet metal. I pay for the welding wire and gas. Cutting it out will be easy, thanks to my choice of either an oxy-acetylene torch, or a plasma cutter for the thinner stuff. Estimated cost of repair right now is under two hundred dollars for the metalworking. Buy some fresh body-mount bolts and nuts, the right rubbers to go there.. And I'll be set. Fenders are absolutely immaculate, which makes me a happy camper. Starting the metal work tomorrow by popping the doors and cross-bracing the jambs so when I cut the rockers and floors out, it won't flex any worse. Then lifting the cab a little with a forklift to set it back to proper alignment with the bed, and set it on jackstands. Commence the metal-work from there.

So in other words.. Please, only nice words. I may be a newbie to owning a Datsun, but it's my first one, it's free, and it gets good gas mileage, which I need right now. What you guys see as "Terminal rot" I see as.. Eh. A little bit of rust. For terminal rot, the only thing I could really think of would be a Camaro convertible we have at work. When we dropped the top, the whole car started caving in on itself. We're still rebuilding it to absolute factory specifications. So some floor rot, rocker rot, and a little bit of body misalignment isn't a big thing in the grand scheme of things, at least for me. I realize that not all may have the resources I have available.. But. I do. So be kind, and stop calling my little truck a pile of scrap. I don't insult any of yours, now do I?

Florida has lots of RUST. MOST cars with heavey rust even after a redone sanding and paint will be bubbled up in 2 years

But anyways keep us posted and show us(at least on a weekly basis) Of your build.

But be honest we see alot of guys come thru here with good intention with cars that are totally shot and or just a shell and most times they have to move and sell the car off for nothing and in 98PERCENT of the TIME are never seen again on Ratsun.

There was a Coast Guard Guy on here with a kinda rotted 510. Same thing hes long gone dont know if car ever really got started of finnished.

But keep us posted and hopefully youll be HERE after 100 posts

Oh trust. I'm not going anywhere, but even if I were to disappear, I still see no reason to insult another person's vehicle and possibly discourage them from bringing back what most of the people on here who've posted would have gotten crushed. As for keeping it from bubbling up later.. Every inch of the truck will be wirebrushed down to bare metal, coated with OsPho, and then sealed with a self-etching primer. What MOST don't have, is working at a fully running restoration shop that deals in cars from the thirties through the early seventies. If done the right way.. Cars don't start rusting again in a few years, assuming you take good care of them.

My intention was not to insult you or your truck. Just trying to help a Datsun Brother out. To me that truck is way to far gone to bring back. Take all the good parts off & find another one thats solid & have a way easier time of it. Even if you do have all the recources & skills to accomplish it.

Unfortunately, they are difficult to find down here for the money that I have to spend, which is next to nothing. The only way I got that one for free is as a straight labor trade for work done, which is the same way I got my Nash and the motor for that big beast. Always saving money to help my son later on in life and to try and pay for a wedding here in the future. x3 Hoping to take the little Datto across the country here soon, though.