Newbie with first Datsun

ScorchVMasakr

I say rebuild! Mine is also pretty banged up and people tell me to sell it or run it into the ground and buy something else but I don't listen. Props to you and good luck. Also are you going for an original rebuild or trying to get more power out of the engine as well? I work at a dealership and we don't get to do anything quite as fun as a street rod shop so I'm curious how you guys operate in these situations... and again, best of luck!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for right now, I'm just going back to stock, maybe slamming it on the ground, since.. I drive like a lunatic. Anything taller than a family sedan might just roll if I can't get it sideways. Since I need to drive it, I won't be toying much with the engine other than a full tune up.. Though in the future I might be looking for another L20 just so I can tinker with it and see what kind of power I can get out of it with an intake built for a four barrel carb and a turbo or two for fun. Not sure right now, since I've spent the last year and a half immersed in V8s, Fords, and Chevy's. I need to see what's available for the little motor, what's been done, and what works since it's a whole different beast than a 289 or a 390. Any tips, tricks, or where I might source a really inexpensive local block that isn't damaged would be amazing to the future process. .

Aside from all that, thank you to those that are encouraging and kind. That is what I was hoping to find here, and it's nice to know that it actually exists. If you're ever down in Tampa, let me know.

If you have the place, tools,skills,and ambition to do it- go for it!

as for the Z car engine and suspension... I vote no. I believe there was someone on here who put a 6 banger in a 620 and the pulys were right behind the grille. Don't know if he ever got it driving or not. Anyone know?

good luck,man!

Hmmm. Well I wouldn't be opposed to hammering at the firewall to clear up space and lengthening the cab and chassis of the truck just for the purpose of making it fit. But that'll all be in the future after I finish Project Harbinger, which is gonna be my family sedan.

Okay. Different question today, since I'm gonna be at welding for a few weeks in the off time. Has anyone ever gotten a wild hair and moved the bed forward against the cab, welded them together on all sides, and cut out the back wall of the cab and put in a single sheet of metal to basically create a unibody? Tinkering with the idea, because I have an old sound system that was well balanced that I'd love to install in the truck, but space is limiting. So I was thinking of doing that and then recessing the back wall of the cab enough for everything to fit and look pretty. Just a thought~. I'd love to know if anyone's tried it before or not, though.

Awesome. Thank ya, and since I got pretty well rained out this week and couldn't get much accomplished, there will be more to update next week. So far just been limited to measurements and collecting all the metal I'll need, in addition to a few other things. As for the unibody.. That's gonna take a little design work, but whatever I do, I'll make sure to take detailed pictures and post measurements and instructions for those of you that wish to accomplish the same thing. Poor truck's gonna be in primer state for a while after the metal work is done, however. The paint I want to use is expensive, but completely worth it.

• 4 weeks later...