Stereo head unit for a 620

Im looking for a stock cassette player for a 620 or a modern stereo that fits in an unfuckedup dash.

I know theyre out there, Ive just never seen one. If it is modern, hopefully it has usb or auxiliary in the front? Or maybe you know who still makes one? All I find are replacements for vintage mustangs and camaros.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen a "stock" cassette player. Every cassette player I've seen in a 620 was an aftermarket unit, and the majority went in the console, not the dash. There may have been a dealer option unit but even as late as 1980 the dealer cassette decks were an add-on unit that went in the console, but required modifying the console itself. I have a cassette player in my '74 that required no modifications to the dash whatsoever, but it's a circa 2001 Jensen that isn't made anymore as far as I know. There are a few 3-hole units still in existence, since there are plenty of American tanks that folks don't want to cut up the metal dashes.

The 3-hole radios fit, but usually the faceplate doesn't. The faceplate for my Jensen is in the glovebox.

74radio.jpg

This $20 unit from Amazon looks like a POS, looks like MECHANICAL tuning (I have a CD/MP3 deck with manual tuning and it really sucks, tuning changes with temperature) BUT it has USB and would fit the dash with no mods:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLR14MPF-In-Dash-FM-MPX-Shaft/dp/B004HJ3FH0

Crutchfield manufactures them with USB. Otherwise google search Car Stereo Shaft Style will get you hits. There are Alpines, Pioneer Supertuners on ebay.

Best of all this link describes how to add USB to an Alpine 7164 Shaft Style stereo.

www.bagotronix.com/alpine_7164_mod.pdf

Ok. Not impossible I imagined it. I saw a pic of someones gauges and was almost sure I saw a very factory looking tape deck. the faceplate matched the heater controls and the tape slot was flush with the curve of the bezel. A sweet, beautiful dream? Perhaps.....

For now, I'll give up on this unicorn.

well you could always do what I plan on doing and get my stock radio updated with digital components with hidden usb/ipod input, you keep the stock front faceplate and quite often even the body stays stock but the internals are updated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.