Clatter HELP please :)

Silvester

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

photos of the slack side guide and the tensioner would help.

Persoanlly if the motor lines up on the cam timmingmarks@TDC I would have called it good.

Your top sproket doesnt look sharp. I would call that good.

The lower sprocket dont really wear out that I have seen as the circle is smaller.

Most times a tensioner and slack side guide is al that is needed.

ALSO!!!!!

when you put this together try to put soem RTV on the head gaskets and in the corner to help seal it. Most time they really start leaking

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Okay! Finally got around to installing my timing kit today! Im hoping this fixes the problem. Here are some pictures of what i have.

In the top end, the sprocket notch and cam notch line up perfectly and the chain is on dimple #2.

On the bottom end, Chain does not line up with the sprocket dimple. Is it normal to be 1 or 2 teeth off? I found TDC with a 1980 l20b pulley.

Im guessing that i have to turn the crank a bit so that the golden link is 2 teeth above the dimple? Can someone help here please?

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Update: I was able to line up:

Cam sprocket notch with cam notch.

#2 notch on Cam sprocket notch with gold link.

Crank sprocket notch with Gold link.

If i am correct, this motor is timed correctly. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

Well! Put it all back together today. Starts and runs fine but the clank is still there!! Very frustrating. I have about 15 hours in it and didn't solve the problem... It must be rooted in the head somewhere, but what I don't understand is that the valve lash is all correct! Could this be a bow in the camshaft?

The front thermostat housing bolt goes through the head and into the timing chain area by the cam sprocket. If the wrong length and too long, the chain may hit against it.

A bent cam or head won't clank.

Take the fan belt off and start it up and rev a few times? If it goes away it's water pump or alternator.

Does it 'clank' steady? revs with the motor? Or is it random?

Sounds like a valve lash not set. Should be 0.010" hot intake and 0.012" hot exhaust.

Set the idle low as possible and run with the valve cover off. Get a wooden hammer handle or something similar. Set it on top of each rocker arm where it meets the valve spring and push down firmly. Yes it will take some practice to get it on and hold it there but with downward pressure you will be removing the lash at this point. The clicking is the rocker arm taking up the lash and hitting the lash pad. When it suddenly gets quiet... this is the one.

• 2 weeks later...