Clatter HELP please :)

Silvester

Do a quick ck to make sure the alternator is not hitting the idler arm(if a bigger alt was installed by chance)

I would look at the timming chain slack side guide and see if the tensioner is popped cockeyed which will make more of a grinding sound as the tensioer wears out the surface usually down to the metal.

Also I seen where one bolt of the slack side guide was off and the tensioner would rattle around.

On tite side make sure you dont have a too long of a bolt that pushes the tight side tensioner in to the chain. YThis is very unlikely but is s quick looksee.

I never had a clutch fan but highly dought thats it either.

I would persoanlly try to look at the chain down in the fron cover(with flashlight) and take the pulley and try to see if anything whats going on and try to stress seomthing out.

Your fuel pump has the spacer ans is new looking and dont think that would be it also.

Nice truck you got there. I love the orange and should buff out pretty good. Engine bay looks good also

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks about right.

when you dial it up to TDC Zero on crank then youll look at the V on the cam sprocket and see if it lines up with the dash on the back plate. take a photo thru the inspection hole of the cam sproket.

But make sure you dial up to TDC keeping the chain tight. Never go past and try to turn it back as it induces slack on the the back side. if you wen past Zero then try to rotate the crank back then best to turn back about a inch then dial it back to TDC keeping the chain tight.

the brite links are only used on assemble when firts putting the chain on. It will take a few turns to get it back on the correct spot again but its not really needed. More to make it idiot proof if anything. One can always dial it to TDC and ck the cam sprocket to figure out if one is adv or off a tooth. watch the vid I sent its EZ.

go n by your photo I dont see anything obvious that is bad.

If you think this is tmmed OK.

Most L20 the timming will be set to #2. Youll see a 2 in the 2 oclock position of the cam sproket. If its on 3 then soemone advanced it. No big deal.

looking at the sprocket it the teeth dont look sharp. I bet you could just get away with a slack side guide and a tensioner and call the timming kit good.

But for now you need to find the rattle.

push on the slack side guide ad ck out the tensioer at booton in front cover

Instead of rotating it from the crank i decided to rotate it from the Cam this time and this is what I found: Is it only doing that because i'm rotating it by the cam gear? or is does that look wrong, period?

th_MVI_1596.jpg

Looks to be like a timing cam gear/chain. Its 170k miles on stock gear!

If you turn the cam sprocket you will move all the chain slack over to the left (tension) side. If checking the cam timing you have to turn the crank.

I see what you mean here. Im no longer looking for timing. Determined its timed correctly but now looking for the clatter sound, trying to duplicate it.

Well the engine will be pulling down on the chain on the left (driver's) side against resistance from the valve springs. The chain will always be tight on this side. The slack is all on the right side.

Hate to find out its not the chain set up.

You did ck all the rockers arms ect for any proplems?

I couldnt get the vid to work so I couldnt hear it.

maybe a compression ck would be chance ck for a valse seat popping around but Im realyy winging it from hear. I assume you have good power and its just noisey.

I oosen the oil pan just enought to get the pan down so yourll have room to get the front cover out and hopefull not ruin the oil pan gasket. If you do ruin it you can spile another section of a oil pan gasket and put it in.

I guess we'll have to see.... I dropped the oil pan and pulled the front cover off last night. IM waiting for my timing chain kit. I'm going to the PandP to get a l20b crank pulley. someone ground this one down. If anything, pulling this thing apart is giving me experience so i wont be too upset over it if it doesn't fix it. I also found out that the water pump is cavitated and rusted like a mofo even though its new. The engine has sufficient power its just the noise... I should have done a compression check ;/ Ill keep you guys updated

Your truck would have come with a clutch fan. Likely it was changed. Try an ealier '73

The worm gear just slides forward an off the crankshaft. It and the crank sprocket are held in place with woodruf keys. Gently pry forward with a screwdriver.

You can run ether kind. If you get a clutch fan you will also have to find the plastic blade fan for it too.

If replacing the pump fixes the sound then it's just that the pump was bad not the type of pump used.

Water pump** i found out there is an l16/18 pump and fan instead of the norm. The tight side was actually pretty loose... I was able to wiggle it 1/4" back and forth. Air pump was all bolted down and in tact and belt driven. Yes i did look through the oil pump also.

Excellent. You found the problem

The tight side was actually pretty loose... I was able to wiggle it 1/4" back and forth.

Set the tensioner correctly and it will be quiet. When installing they were supposed to rotate clockwise, then move the tensioner before bolting it tight.