Clatter HELP please :)

Silvester

Hello everyone! Not too long since I sold my 74, but i'm looking to get into a 78 now. Owner describes there is a clattering sound when engine is running... Car is FAR away and i wont be able to hear it until i pick it up (if i do). Iim assuming this is top end lifters? If not/so what will it take to get this fixed? All help is appreciated!

Sly tuna

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't adjusted the timing then changing a timing chain will be really hard. Better to find out before you buy and take home.

Changing a timing chain will be hard because of my inexperience or because the timing has't been adjusted? :)

Lets just say setting the valves is less work and less tools. The valve lash has nothing to do with the timing chain. Replacing the timing chain requires the rad and the front of the motor to be removed to get at it.... and $70-$100 for the timing chain set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys! Just finished doing the valve adjustment both hot and cold and i'm still getting that exact clattering sound from the video. I did however notice that all the valves were between .005 and .007 which is nowhere near spec. ( of course they are now set to spec and still clattering) I'm going to do the timing and see if that fixes it. Any other thoughts on this?

Your help is much appreciated

Why do you think the noise is caused by the timing chain? Is the timing chain of out spec? How much play is in the adjuster? Have you adjusted the chain?

It could be the chain, or could be something else. For example, a cracked exhaust manifold can mimic ticking valves.

I find that a cracked manifold is louder or softer depending on engine load.

While the valve cover is off check for a broken spring.

I see you don't have a stock fuel pump... is the arm running on the cam eccentric or hitting the cam sprocket as it turns??? Sometimes people take the pump off and forget the spacer.

It don't sound like a chain problem.

If the fuel pump does not have the 1/4 thick spacer between it and the head, fit it.

In the photo one of the cam lobes look rusty. That can cause a worn follower which will clatter even if the lash is correct.

Excellent data gathering -- stethoscope!

Move the fuel pump arm with your finger. Is it weakly touching the orbital, or has a good spring action holding it to the orbital? Sometime the spring breaks in the fuel pump. It's never happeend to me so I'm not sure what it would sound like.