need some HELP on my 78 datsun king cab

primo909

I have a 78 datsun with l20b stock truck turns on but all of a sudden 2 months a ago it died on me and didnt get spark. fixed that but now my truck only goes 5 mph and doest want to speed up. thing i done to it full tune up,changed the icm (ignition control module) fuel filter any suggestions will help thanks in advance

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i did change out my coil and the insides of the dizzy

Always suspect the last changes made. Possible causes in that area include

* Coil hooked up backwards

* Distributor advance weights aren't contacting the rotor piece

* Pinched wire in distributor

* Loose/dirty wire connections

* Incorrect air gap (remote ignitor distributor)

Then again it could be totally unrelated to that. Fuel flow is suggested by the symptoms. Check your fuel flow. Disconnect after the filter, and put the hose in a coffee can. It should pump at least a quart in 60 seconds. If it doesn't, that's your problem. Could be the tank, line, vent, filter or pump.

But there are other things that can cause it too, so don't be discouraged. Take it one test at a time. When you find the real problem, then spend money.

First of all stop throwing parts at it hoping you will fix it that way. Fastest and cheapest way is to look at the symptoms and diagnose the problem.

I have a 78 datsun with l20b stock truck turns on but all of a sudden 2 months a ago it died on me and didnt get spark. fixed that

So what was wrong and what/how did you fix it.???

but now my truck only goes 5 mph and doest want to speed up. thing i done to it full tune up,changed the icm (ignition control module) fuel filter any suggestions will help thanks in advance

ICM? Is that the one located under the dash????

Full tune up? Did you...

set the valve lash???

Set the timing 12 degrees BTDC.

new wires, cap, rotor???

Adjust the idle mixture and idle speed???

Sounds carb related to me.

i belive i found the problem..... insidee the dizzy theirs this wheel i belive its called the reluctor it has (or had) these little splines on every corner is broken could that be the problem ?????

• 4 weeks later...

i belive i found the problem..... insidee the dizzy theirs this wheel i belive its called the reluctor it has (or had) these little splines on every corner is broken could that be the problem ?????

EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg This is the reluctor shape for a '78 it doesn't have any points to break off.

This is a '79 dizzy and it does have points that could break off.

79EIdizzy.jpg

So which type do you have?

• 7 months later...

I thought replying to this thread might be ok since it's fairly recent and has the pics..

But yes, the reluctor in the bottom pic here (remote module type) 1978 620 for example, does indeed have little teeth/points which can be broken off, at which point we just have "corners"

They are almost the same as height as the others as far as how far they protrude from the edge of reluctor, if you look closely at the upper left one.. 

I found a sweet dizzy at a yard here..no shaft play..very little rust..happy to get it.. and have it completely cleaned and going back together but some moron moved the air gap closed and it sheared off the little blades from the reluctor. 

Damnit, I wanted to get her going this weekend, too. Can anyone report any success finding a new reluctor and maybe part #'s?

Don't know if I'll find another at yard..old dattos are rare here.

I saw 22115-N6100 in another thread but don't know if that's for all these remote module dizzys? 

Any aftermarket #'s?

The sites all have the contactor(little spring that looks like points with no points,lol) listed as the reluctor (most of them anyway)

79EIdizzy.jpg

24382.jpg

Remote igniter reluctor # 22115-N6100 this is for a 4 cylinder and is about $10 if still available from Nissan.

BTW when they check the answer may come back as No Longer Available but try to get them to ask other Nissan dealers nation wide. There may be one sitting on a parts shelf going to waste.

Well..no luck finding a new reluctor...went back to the yard and got the ONLY other 4 cyl./remote module Ratsun dizzy there. Shaft play, but good reluctor/pickup with uncut harness!  Sold me this one for $10  :thumbup:

Now I have an extra body..different p/n tho..I'ma look it up and see what it fits.

Maybe get the bushings from that Zcar guy and fix it.

This guy had em on shelves inside, covered in cobwebs, lol