Goonfan's 72' 240Z Resurrection build

Had a little set back when some unexpected company came over for a few hours.... Good timing though since my hands were waaay cramped up and I couldn't hold onto the torch much longer.

Just about got the patch buttoned up. Closing the big ass holes is a challenge.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bwaaa waaah waaah waaah wa wanawaaah..... Warped fender!

CameraZOOM-20120704185728644.jpg

LOL, that's all I could thin when I took the pic.

Yeah, I needs the practice under the hood. This had me doing all kinds of shit, I was using backing plates of Al, that worked sometimes but not other, than I got feed up and used patches of sheet to fill in the holes. There were some big ass holes too, size of my first thumb knuckle.

You'll just have to believe me on that.... These are the only gaps I took pics of.

CameraZOOM-20120704130038599.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704130048061.jpg

Here it is before some sanding

CameraZOOM-20120704184158240.jpg

Some of the really shitty areas.

CameraZOOM-20120704184206565.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704184216440.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704184224503.jpg

For some reason when I went back to it after the extended break it was much harder. I just couldn't get the feel of the switch for some reason. I keep thinking the handle moved because I couldn't grip it, I think it was just swelling in my hand, I loaded up during the break on NSAID's. Who knows?

I'll add some more filler here and there to strengthen things up in a few low spots, but it's already stronger than stock. I used 40thou after all.

Looks like I'll be "smoothing" it out with a little bondo, lol.

Damn... this takes a looooong time.

Got everything patched up on the panel and tacked it in. Here's where I'm at now.

This is the panel after I added some more material to the low spots and ground a few things down.

CameraZOOM-20120704195910002.jpg

It was tricky getting some of the tack welds in. Some had big gaps some were in some hard to reach spots, etc.

CameraZOOM-20120704205208516.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704211602607.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704211621538.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704211637301.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704211719869.jpg

It's only tacked on the drivers side and one tack on the passenger side, just on the lowe core support. I did that so I can fit the other panel and then make it all fit. Tack and test fit, tack and fit, then weld it in. Hopefully I can get it all lined up tomorrow. I've got to go to work tomorrow, I'd like to call in for the week though, lol.

Getting closer but going real slow.... That's to expected I guess. This is my first time doing this kinda repair work so I'm learning while I go.

Still think I'll need a shell, maybe next Summer, lol.

Dang... you werent kidding when you said you were getting some work done. I saw most of the text updates in my email, but none of the pictures. Looks like youre headed in the right direction. Not too much longer now! Remember, just let me know if you need help wheeling the 240 around. Wouldnt want it to roll out of your driveway and down the street...

Lol thanks... My other one rolled down the street..

Yeah next up is test fitting. Headed to the doc today, he will really aggravate my injury to the area point that I won't be able to do any work today. First thing tomorrow morning!

Your pretty dedicated to be putting all that metal work in. Good for you.

Whats the story on that belt driven dizzy?

Your in desperate need of a 240z shell? I have one for sale totally rust free and por'd :-P

Yeah... Been busting my ass. This is/was my first real bad ass Z so I feel a certain amount of obligation to fix her up.... maybe it's dumb maybe it's awesome, lol.

I will say I learned a lot from this experience. There is waaaaay more work involved than I ever imagined. Unless there a some very special circumstances I do not think I would ever do this type of repair again. I got it all welding in (for the most part) yesterday, I've just been lazy about posting pics and updates.

As for the belt driven dizzy, not many notice (kudos), it's from he PO. The dizzy is an optical pick up w/ no mechanical or vacuum advance. I'm not sure what the dizzy came out of since I've not "completely" pulled it apart. The cap and rotor are from a Toyota. It's my guess that this particualr cap and rotor were chosen because the cap is not mounted with your typical spring clamps but with three screws. This takes the 1-3 degrees that can be retarded/advanced, by high rpm vibration, from the stock cap out of the equation. This motor is 11.73:1 CR that runs on pump gas and was a track car in it's day.... So that's my best guess.... it's what I would do.

NJ is a little ways for a shell.... but if the price is right, lol.

Ya I hear you, I def wouldnt go through all that lol. Not in structural anyway. Again though good for you get it back on the rd.

That dizzy is an interesting set up for sure. The alt was relocated to the other side then I guess? Or above it?

Ya I was just teasing. I'm only asking like 300 bucks to get it to a good home but WA and NJ are def a bit far lol.

click on my build thread link and start from the beginning. That 72 but as a roller on stock suspension is what I have. All rust repairs, cut for zg's, every inch por 15'd etc....

• 11 months later...

Back from the depths!!! 

I haven't touched this site or my Z since the hammer of steel came down and crushed my soul after months of working on the Z. All the welding, body panels and new air dam have been fitted since last summer. My POS $250 single grove crank pulley broke the day I was going to put her on the road. That fucking sucked. After that I bought a black on black Jetta GLI and haven't came back since. I needed some time, I sound like a chick, lol.

So here's where I'm at today. Need a new crank pulley, air in the tires (some dick stole the motor off my compressor) and some fresh gas. 

This weekend she will be back on the road, ripping up the mutha fucking streets!!

If you've been following you know my dizzy is driven off of a belt coming off the crank. I was setting the timing on what was to be her maiden voyage but the timing kept jumping all over the place. It would rev up to 8K but then start to break up real bad, I kept resetting until I noticed how bad it was. It wasn't just skipping a tooth or 180* out, you know the usual type of shit. No, it was like 30 out, 60, 20, 15, all over the damn place. Then I thought oh shit the crank nut must be loose, I torque the bejeezuz out of it with a 250lb impact driver. Still having the same problems.... hmmm I look closer and realize that the 2 bolts holding the gear for the belt have completely sheared off. So I'm like fuck, I have to get my gear puller and head to work so I can use our drill press to remove the bolts, I wanted to be extra careful since I was so close. That's when I saw it, the pulley fucking broke and there are chunks of cast iron swiming in my motor. That fucking sucked. It was really the worst moment in all my years of wrenching.

Here is the damage. I have no idea how this happened. That pulley is a Nismo pulley I got from Courtesy years ago, I don't think it's even made anymore, it should'nt have cracked like that, I wasn't mashing on it, I've always been carefull to set the torque.

IMG_20130704_132657.jpg

IMG_20130704_132820.jpg

I'm picking up  a new pulley today! This weekend I'll clean the pan, slap her back together, give her a flush with dino oil and get her back on the road!

• Like 1

Haven't done shit..... Women.

I did pull a spare dizzy, it looks like I'll be running a stock pulley for a while. I'm going to have to  re-wire in a few things to fit the new dizzy in. I'm not sure what  I'll have to do quite yet. I need to take out my crane fire box, the problem is I'll have to trace a few wires and possibly run some new ones. Another issue is the advance on the dizzy, I have to find a port, nothing on my Z needs vaccum so I don't have anything to tap into. I'll have to get some fittings to tap into the mani.

It's gonna be a bitch putting the pan back on, I didn't pull the motor to get out the pan.

Besides putting air in the tires that should be it, I'll need to get my hands on some kind of compressor...... or maybe I can use my argon? Hmmmm

Anyway gonna watch some UFC!

Quick update. Only got to work her for a few hours today.

I put the new pulley on, it was a bitch, made me think I must have got inpatient and broke my old one, doh! 

Got the pan in, those bolts next to the header are a PITFA to  get back in, still think it's faster than pulling the motor.

Put the cheapest oil I could buy in. I also bought full syn and have a K&N that will go in after I run it a bit in the driveway.

Think my Crane XR3000 fire box may be  dead.....It's not firing and the little red light won't come on.

I'll try to take ot the Crane and wire in my 280ZX dizzy w/ matchbox. If I'm lucky maybe I can fire her tonight, idk though, can't be up too late.

Shit. Finally can log in from my phone!

So my crane fire box is okay. I'm just an idiot.

I came real damn close to starting her but she just wouldn't fire. It would only make bog fart noises, I thought she might have been 180 out but I got the same results.

So I'm gonna try to get her going again this weekend, I'll pull the cover make sure she is timed correctly. I may drain the fuel tank as well, the gas is a year old and my motor is 11.75:1 so I'm wondering if that's giving me fits.