Goonfan's 72' 240Z Resurrection build

So my panic attack isn't over but I did go back out there.

Even though the mounting holes for the feneder are way off when I put an actual fender and hood on, it looks pretty good. Sooooo I'll check things out tomorrow and go from here. It's gonna be a fuck it and make the panels fit kinda situation or I'm gonna start looking at my Series one reeeeeal close with a swap in mind. I held off on the series one donor because my 72' has some unique chassis mod that I would have to replicate.

Or find a cheap shell.... This would be ideal.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the early 260Z is the same as the 240Z in most ways... I couldn't say 100%, this is Nissan afterall.

I knew there was extra reinforcing and such, I just drilled that stuff out. Even the pinch weld seems are different between the 240/280 bodies. I alos found out that the fender extension, w/o the bracing of the 280, are also just a hair different.

A tube jig is not a bad idea.... I may explore that option. I *think* I can make everything fit with some more work. IDK.... just a real fucking huge disappointment today. I'll re-group and quit the bitch routine tomorrow am

Getting back to it today. Here is a re-cap before getting to the point where the fender mounting bolt bosses don't line up.

This is my second patch panel. The first one was 30thou but it was anealed or something, idk, it was way to flimsy. This is a nice and strong section of 40thou. It's just tacked in for now. That "bead" on the angle was not shitty welding, I was using the torch to trim the edge by melting it back.

CameraZOOM-20120701155231483.jpg

Then I took the plunge and cut out the upper rail.

Before:

P1060784.jpg

After:

CameraZOOM-20120701155651641.jpg

I decided to cut it out because of this mess of metal. This is right where the strut tower ties into hte rail.

CameraZOOM-20120701163517263.jpg

Another shot.

CameraZOOM-20120701163531490.jpg

Prepped as best I could manage.

CameraZOOM-20120701181457326.jpg

Little butt on the torch.

CameraZOOM-20120701182001300.jpg

Oops, my ground clamp won't reach..... Improvise. I'm not going over 45a so no biggie.

CameraZOOM-20120701182256787.jpg

No for the hard part.... I have no choice but to use the rotary control.... in my left hand (my left hand has severe nerve damage btw)

CameraZOOM-20120701190643257.jpg

Okay... so that didn't work out too well. I already grind down the mess and will most likely end up patching over it.

Here is some first mock up shots.

CameraZOOM-20120701185905797.jpg

Still needs to go back further. The spot welds aren't close.

CameraZOOM-20120701185854517.jpg

Looking at the extensions it becomes more obvious. The stock side is 2.5" from from the core support.

CameraZOOM-20120701185843126.jpg

My patch is out 3" from the rail. Take a look at the "kick out" on this fender right past the core support. That's not there on the stock 240Z, I've cut this out already and will patch it up.

CameraZOOM-20120701185830728.jpg

I dropped the suspension. It was a bitch. On the bright side I found out I have spherical ball joints in my control arms.

CameraZOOM-20120701180406332.jpg

So I'm getting back out there shortly. I'll post some pics before I get started. I may just say fuck the mounting holes as long as I can get the body panels to line up. The "re-sale" value of this car is absolute zero with all of this repair work so why not?

I'm going to get my pulling rig setup in a bit and crank it over until it lines up a bit better. It's going to be tricky, I think I'll have to get it off jack stands first, lol.

So today was not a good one for me.

If you've been following my thread you've probably picked up on some "issues" I have with my hands. Basically I'm lucky to even have a left arm after an accident I had several years ago and as a result I'm always in some degree of pain.

Today when I woke up it was extra bad from all the work I've been doing and my usual regimen of NSAID's and pain killers aren't even putting a dent in it. So I just ended up taking the day off. I picked up a few things from the store, even that was hard to do. I did pick up some new tools and a half shirt from my local weld shop.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day and I'll get something done. If my wrist is doing good I think I can weld in the new section, to hell with the factory fender mounting.

Okay so I patched up some other bits and welded up the mounts i'm going to pull from. As I thought would happen the car just slides over.... I'm not sure how I can anchor the other tower.

Maybe I can move the car like a rick shaw? I'm worried about it getting stuck, I'm all alone here so that can easily happen.

Maybe I just weld the shit up anyway? Don't really like that idea too much. I can probably get the panels lined up.

Maybe i need to add tits to my build too?

So I tacked the panel in a few spots.

Here are some of the results. I think with a bit more tweaking I can make it work with with out having to rig up some big contraption to pull in the tower.

Keep in mind the panels are not bolted on yet, only the hood, which looks tweaks because the brackets.

CameraZOOM-20120703182947501.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120703182958002.jpg

Stock fender gap.

CameraZOOM-20120703182923183.jpg

Stock upper tab.

CameraZOOM-20120703183054442.jpg

Patched gap.

CameraZOOM-20120703183025702.jpg

Patch upper tab.

CameraZOOM-20120703183040843.jpg

The upper and lower gaps have me the most concerned. I think with some tweaking I can fix it. I couldn't yank on things too hard since there is only a couple tacs in place.

I also don't have the upper support in there. I'll give that a go next and see what it all looks like.

Think I'm going press ahead with where I'm at. Probably won't be perfect and I hope I don't have issues with squaring up an air damn. If it all comes out like shit than it's onto the new shell.

Fuuuuuuuck! So damn frustrating. I can't get the core support to fit to save my life. I've trimmed and trim, cut out he tacked panel and lowered it some, hammered and bent, nothing is working. Soooo pissed off, Ihad to stop my self from smashing the cores support into a ball.

Yeah i think ima just do that shiz to mine

I wouldn't do this again. It's hard fucking work when you are alone and don't know what he hell you are doing. That's just my experience of course. I my change my mind by the time I'm done but so far every single little thing has been an uphill climb.

Gave the core support one last shot. After grinding down a shitload of crap and jamming it in there, even though it still was not all lining up, I taced it in.

Nasty style, I didn't even care if I was welding through rust or a little paint had to burn off.

CameraZOOM-20120703205602401.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120703205610196.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120703205645188.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120703205724571.jpg

I thought I took some pics of the exterior but I guess I didn't, it's too dark now for any pics. Overall the panels look okay, good enough to drive anyway. There is no way around the fact I'll need a new shell at some point though. I just can't see her holding up 10 more years and with what I'd like to do I don't want it to all fall apart in the future.

This is out of order for the day's progress but I'm so happy with it I thought I'd give it it's own post.

When I was grabbing supplies from the local weld shop I was talking to Joe, the guy who runs things, been dealing with him through work for 10yr, great guy... Anyway I was bitching about my remote switch with hte rotary track and he gave me a fucking kick ass tip.

Take a look.

CameraZOOM-20120703170802725.jpg

That's it.... Couple holes in a stick w/ a set screw. Take the track off the torch and put it in your feed hand?! Soooo fucking simple, as soon has he was telling me about it I knew I'd be much happier. My biggest problem with the track was I'd constantly dip into the weld every time I moved the track, I had zero control and hated it. This completely takes the "bump" from hte track out and makes welding fun again.

Now, I'm still getting used to it by here is some shots of a "pulling post" I made for my first failed plan from today.

CameraZOOM-20120703170819648.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120703170833222.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120703171718804.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120703172721730.jpg

IF you have a bender I can see how they may be easier, of course is would have it's own set of issues.

If I had a bender I probably would have tried that, especially knowing what I know now. Either way it's a lot of work.

In the end I think it would be faster, easier and cost about the same to get a rolling chassis.

yeah we'll see im still jumbling things in my head for what i want so i've been considering a rolling chassis and seeing what in my budget and more accecisible. My friend has a welder and looking for a pipe bender so its either destroy n rebuild or destroy and get a new one cuz its that much easier..

Well, I was gonna post some pics of how it's all lining up but they weren't there when I went to upload.

The driver side bracket is bent towards the passenger side by about 1/4", I'll unbolt it and straighten it out, that should line up the hood with the fenders.

I just tried a little experiment with a jack in between the towers. I only move the passenger side over 3/16", but that's all I needed! Feeling good about his right now.

I'll weld up the patches on the patch panel.

Patch up some little areas on the car.

Clean up every surface that will get welded.

tac the core support in on the driver side

Use the spreader (jack)

Tac the passenger side

Test fit.

If it looks good after the test fit. I'm stitching it all up.

Looks pretty easy but there are lots of little steps to get there. I'm hoping today is the day she is welded back up.

My hands are killing me so it's time for a beak. Almost done with step one, lol.

Damn I'm a shitty welder.... At work I work on a table with a pedal, everything is laid out all perfectly. All these odd angles and clamps all over the place a real bitch. Top that off with old nasty steel that I can't get clean.

Dude, you are a great inspiration. I have really bad sholders so it's hard for me to get under a car and wrentch, but you've really inspired me to get out there again.

You're donig a really good job, and just need to keep your head up and push through it all. You need to finish this car.