Goonfan's 72' 240Z Resurrection build

You should get a machine... then when I learn everything at TMF we can go into business together. Ill design all these sweet Datto parts and you can mill them.

lol yeah! I'm hoping one day I can get my hands on one of the big mills at work. They seriously just want to toss them both out. The only reason we have them still is becasue they are so damn big we couldn't just chuck them.... like we did with 2 air compressors ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i was wrong wtf are u doing ...anodizing....who evers wive tail this was got the last laugh...lets hope they arent interweb savy....nice job on the camber plates...they look pimping...stop mom and popping your sheetmetal....theres no way to get inside the double panels that sheetmetal usually have so basically u just speed up the process for 2 days....black oxide is the rust being converted but im not worried aboutthose parts now that we submerged your parts.....make tristan bring them to me just blast them....we blast everything we tig and it works flawlessly.... i got a customer that requests ii blast his flat bar aluminum before he welds it..

inm guessing yoru bitching about rust mort or the likes.... the black oxide look means its working ....after u nuetralize it you can start your repair... water nuetralizes it....wierd i know...anyway works fine stops rust ....just need to seal it with a fiberglass reinforced filler...alhough if yoru intent was to weldpatchs in then u wasted your time...

Well shit. Where were you last Sunday when I was in my basement making this damn thing?! lol...

I was planning to do some test welds near the black spots. I'm not sure how bad that stuff will effect my welds, I know rust is like the mortal enemy of my tig welds so I do not have high hopes. I may have to knock that all off and rebuild the areas back up with filler. I better buy some more wire.

ok i was wrong wtf are u doing ...anodizing....who evers wive tail this was got the last laugh...lets hope they arent interweb savy....nice job on the camber plates...they look pimping...stop mom and popping your sheetmetal....theres no way to get inside the double panels that sheetmetal usually have so basically u just speed up the process for 2 days....black oxide is the rust being converted but im not worried aboutthose parts now that we submerged your parts.....make tristan bring them to me just blast them....we blast everything we tig and it works flawlessly.... i got a customer that requests ii blast his flat bar aluminum before he welds it..

Great, now what did I do then?

So are you saying the electrolysis just won't work period or I screwed something up? Of course it's better to sand blast but I'm broke so it wasn't much of an option, but thinking about it some I spent a bit to make that damn bath.

So since I won't be able to work on my car for a while, I'm thinking I might try to make a run to the JY and pick up a fuel tank for my 71'. At least that way I cold have one of my Z's on the road. I guess I'll clean it too, lol.

Still not sure because I'd only have a maybe 4-5hr max to pull out 2 tanks, put one tank in, pull 2 quarter windows, put one back in, run new fuel lines, and drop an engine back in. IDK I'll post some pics if I do.

So since I won't be able to work on my car for a while, I'm thinking I might try to make a run to the JY and pick up a fuel tank for my 71'. At least that way I cold have one of my Z's on the road. I guess I'll clean it too, lol.

Still not sure because I'd only have a maybe 4-5hr max to pull out 2 tanks, put one tank in, pull 2 quarter windows, put one back in, run new fuel lines, and drop an engine back in. IDK I'll post some pics if I do.

Let me know if you need any help... just send me a text.

Cool. Like Luginitas too, I loved the Brown Shugga during the holidays. If you drank it did you notice that last years batch tasted different and had a lower abv? It's because the Brown Shuuga was an accident the first time around. Basically the story is that they dropped a sack of brown sugar in the brew and didn't know what the recipe actually was. It was going to be a one time thing but they made more after it's success.

Right now Ninkasi is my go to brewery, just finished off a ducer of Tricerahops Double IPA. I was real heavy into Stone Brewing for a long time, they still make the best Russian Imperial Stout I've had. I like it better than North Coast's Rasputin.

Back to beer... We are super lucky here in the PNW to have a seemingly endless supply of great breweries. I've been to a few states on the east coast and in several South West states and I was not impressed with the local breweries at all (excluding Cali). The selections were real thin too, I mean you can go to ANY small convenience store or gas station here in the PNW and you'll find at least 6 great beers out of at least a dozen micro brews. When I was in NY it was so bad I took pictures so when I got home me and my buds could look at them and laugh about it.

I realize this, and feel sorry for them. All they really get is Widmer for "micro"brew.

There is a local restaurant here that is constantly changing out whats on tap for all the local breweries.

And then there is a bar with about 100 taps of just microbrews. This town is heaven for beer.

I think Portland has the most breweries per city in the US...

I realize this, and feel sorry for them. All they really get is Widmer for "micro"brew.

There is a local restaurant here that is constantly changing out whats on tap for all the local breweries.

And then there is a bar with about 100 taps of just microbrews. This town is heaven for beer.

I think Portland has the most breweries per city in the US...

Yeah I'd believe it. My girl and i love to go down there because of all the great eats and good beer. Sheeet even good Sake at Bamoboo Sushi.

Even out here in my tiny town I wanna say there is about 10-12 breweries. Only 1 home brew store still in business though.

PNW fucking rules micro brews!!

The problem I was having with this car is that sometimes the fuel lines would get full of rust and plug up. The line had chunks of rust and now I'm guessing JB weld, a bunch fell out of the tank, that caused the lines to rust out, accelerating the clogging. Sometimes the car would just start to die from losing fuel. I let my pops borrow it and he fried the clutch, after it sat for a year or two I replaced the clutch but it wouldn't rev past 3,500 rpm. I'm hoping this fixes it. I'm not going to start a separate thread on this car unless I start doing a lot more work to it. For now I'm only planning on this little block of time.

Pulled the tank out of the 71' and I'm gonna try to fix the holes and replace the line. It's in better shape than I thought it would be. Yes, there is still surface rust but it's 10X better than what I've had on the road in the past. Of course this won't be permanent but I need something to drive while I get my 72' going. My truck sounds really bad so that's not an option I want to keep going with.

PO had "patched" it with what looks like JB weld.

CameraZOOM-20120602093127446.jpg

Close ups

CameraZOOM-20120602093134328.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120602093141823.jpg

After knocking off the JB weld I'm left with 4 easily (hopefully) weldable holes.

CameraZOOM-20120602093603387.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120602093612126.jpg

A shot of the inside. It looks far worse in this photo then in real life.

CameraZOOM-20120602094830768.jpg

So I got a little paranoid about the whole exploding gas tank thing. So even though it's been an empty tank for the last 4-5 months I'm purging it with 40psi of air for at least 1/2-1hr while I get some new hose and run the fuel line. I'll then purge it with Ar for a good 10-20min before I weld on it. I can't see how it will have any vapor or hydrocarbons that will explode after that.

I washed a tank out with hot water and a few drops of liquid laundry detergent. Worked fantastic for getting any gas residue out, I couldn't even smell fumes. Then blow it dry with compressed air and you should be good to go.

Sweet ride!

Thanks, she still has a ways to go.

Well I ran out of time. I purged the tank with air for close to 2hr. There is just the slightest smell of fuel still, you kinda have to look for it. I'll purge it with Ar before any welding. That should be more than enough to keep things safe.

Well I'm not dead! Fuel tank is not fully welded either, I ran out of Ar... I got most of it welded up but there are still 3 big holes. Some of the holes opened up quite a bit and I couldn't get them closed back up before I ran out of gas.

I did install the new fuel line, it was a major f'n pain. I used some scrap 3/8" 316SS from work, I had no tube bender so it was a real bitch. I left the return line alone, I'll tackle that when I do a proper build.

No pics this round. I installed a new ROM on my phone last night and it keeps boot looping, I can't get a certain file to install.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a zero pics update... Don't hate, lol. These are all cell phone pics and my phone has been taking a beating, plus my hands have been waaaay to dirty.

After 7 days straight of working on hte Series 1 it's on the road, barely.

I finished welding the tank but stupidly I didn't test it out and although my welds held up great there was a bunch more super tiny holes I didn't see. So it doesn't all out leak but seeps, I smeared JB weld on it for now. Hey it's working. No leaks. Well except I lost the retaining ring, I found it a few days later but I couldn't get it on all the way so it seeps.... a lot.

I upgraded to a 280ZX electronic ignition and blaster 2 coil.

Replaced every fuel or vacuum hose under the hood, except one float vent.

Shafts are worn on the SU's.... I'm looking at my options. For now I'm going to try to smear vacum grease all over the bushings. I have some extra super fancy stuff that is as thick as peanut butter and good to 2000*F... It probably won't work, lol.

Tomorrow I set out to tune the carbs as best I can with the worn shafts. The front carb (worse shaft) is too rich and the rear is just a hair lean.

It was surging by about 300-500 rpm at idle but that has seemed to go away with all thw work I've been doing. It is still pretty gutless at about 4000+

Still have some seriuos wiring issues to sort out too. Brakes, headlights and hazards work but no blinkers.

I washed it today and it looks far better. I'll snap some shots of her on the road if the carb tuning goes well.

No pics.... Carb tuning went like shit, lol. I'm back to work on the 72' (the subject of this thread) as of tomorrow. I'm *planning* to take mon/tue off for a good 5 days straight of dedicated work. It's supposed to rain and my car is not under cover, can't weld through water so I hope this doesn't slow me down.

I'll take pics of my progress, it's a lot cleaner and therefore safer for my phone.

Well I didn't get nearly as much done as I was planning. I fused with my welder forever wasting time. I have one of those rotary track remote switches, I just can't get the hang of it. I'm really starting to hate the damn thing.... I should have got the linear version. My hands were killing me today too so that didn't help either, I'm going to have some serious arthritis when I get old.

Started with prepping the patch panel. You can see even my patch panel needs a patch panel, lol.

Getting it marked up for the section to cut out.

CameraZOOM-20120630155226470.jpg

Tracing out the patch to transfer to my sheet metal.

CameraZOOM-20120630155234561.jpg

Cut it out.

CameraZOOM-20120630161036534.jpg

Then I tried to plug up some holes with some discs I punched out. I tried using a magnet to hold them in place, even with only 30a it was too much for the magnent. I forgot to take a pic but trust me it was a disaster.

CameraZOOM-20120630163953758.jpg

Looks cool though.

CameraZOOM-20120630164004935.jpg

That's all I took pics of. I did do more, I'll post pics I take of that stuff tomorrow.

• Like 1

Arghhhhh so unhappy!!

I mocked everything up, there are all kinds of little differences between 240z and 280z I never knew about. It's not even fucking close. I still need to pull the tower over some but there is no way it's going to line up correctly.... meybe if I can pull straight down?

Looks like the wole frame was "pushed" up about 3/4", idk jsut a guess. Too pissed off to measure it, too pissed off to take pics of it.

I'm wrapping up for the night.... I'll post pics of what I did do after a beer to drown my agony.

vv Check out my new sig! vv