Anyone have an older Coats 3030 tire machine?

I'm trying to figure how the bead breaker attaches on the right side of the machine. I see the bar with a bolt that should engage the post with the cut outs but it doesn't hold itself there. Almost seems like I'm missing some portion of it. Going to stop by Schwabs to see if I they might have an old one I can look at. It's been a while since I've used a center post.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

I believe that the bead breaker is not supposed to be permanentley attached, it is meant to be loose to swing out of the way once the bead is broken, what holds it in place is the wheel and tire after you hook the clamp part over the rim, then it should catch when the pedal is depressed, the bottom bead breraker will move first and then the top bead breaker should engage.

Can't remember what I did yesterday, but can remember stuff from over 40 years ago

I believe you're correct. The next version, the 4040 had a swivel head but the stem mounted permanently below. This just sits there on the rim and you lift it back out of the way. Figured out how to use it after some trial and error. Works fine, just a bit slower for operation. Sufficient for my purposes though. Changed two tires on the Sentra today, almost have it ready for sale. Passed emissions need to fix a few little things still.

• 10 years later...

Did you remove the valve from the stem???? I've removed literally hundreds of tires at a local auto wreckers.  The tire changer couldn't compress the tire off the bead if there was air in the tire. It would strain like hell but couldn't budge it. Let the air out and it was fine.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:10 PM, Nick brill said:

Hi guys I bought a coats 30-30-a 

tire changer everything on it works but when you go to break the bead it is to weak to break it 

my air compressor is 150 psi 

I don’t hear any leaks 

just wondering what I could do 

Are you breaking the back bead first?