Sound clip of pinging

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugg I am really wondering what this damn sound is that I am dealing with. I really doubt its pinging the more I read, I run premium 100% of the time (ive run reg in there and no real change) I am using an open chambered A87 which has been shaved but I don't think enough to make compression close to what a closed chamber would be. When I changed my lash pads to get a better wipe pattern it did get better but the sound still occurs (rockers are quite close to the middle on intakes and perfect on exhaust). I changed to rockers that were in better condition (my old ones were looking pretty crummy) no change. Wayno suggested too long of bolts in the front cover possible hitting my chain, it can't be the problem because now that I think about it I never had this issue until my whole fowray into shimming the cam. I've had this thing in hard acceleration while warm sound is not noticable but when cold and going up hills is very bad. The cam timming if finally good.

Tomorrow I'll post pics to show what my wipe pattern looks like see what yall think.

/end whiney rant

"low" compression heads can make just as much Pinging as the "high" compression heads -- you better believe it.

And open-chamber heads are the worst.

Pinging is usually hear under part throttle, often at lower RPMs. But can happen at all times.

If you thinks it might be pinging, just turn the distributor back 5 degrrees and see if the sound goes away. It's cheap insurance to test this out.

I guess I should have taken the test drive, I would have known pinging right away, do as ggzilla suggested, retard the timing a few degrees, most of my knocking/pinging occurs while on the hiway while giving it a little more gas to go up a slight incline, it kinda sounds like fresh tire studs on dry pavement when they are driving by you slow, but take away 90% of the stud noise, cause if it was pinging that bad, you likely wouldn't get far.

I listened to the engine idling, it sounded great, but I didn't get in it, guess I should have.

Once when I drove to california, I filled the tank with gas down there, I filled with med. grade cause the guy riding with me was complaining about buying premium, when that cal. crap hit the carbs, I thought I was going to have to drain the tank, I popped the hood, pulled the vacuum advance line off the distributor, and retarded the timing and got threw that tank, and as soon as I could, got rid of that guy and his complaining.

Timing is everything, retard it a little and see if it changes, if one continues to drive it while it is knocking, you can melt a hole in a piston.

• 3 weeks later...