Line lock used as an e-brake?

mrmark

Has anybody ever done this? My car currently has no e-brake handle or cables. They're still installed inside the rear drums and they seem to work but it may be easier/cheaper for me to install a line lock in the rear brake line. I'd step on the brake, hit the lock and(in theory) the rear brakes would stay engaged. I'm not sure if this would prematurely wear out my wheel cylinders or any other part. I don't park on a major hill or anything but this seems like a quick/easy/cheap alternative?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not legal. And not guaranteed to hold pressure for hours.

You are correct sir. I got this great idea about a quarter of a century ago, to put hydraulic steering brakes in my VW baja. to do this I had to remove the parking brake and replace it with a park loc. It plumbs into the line going to the rear brakes. Everything worked great till I got stopped by a state trooper. Turns out the parking brake has to be seperate from the primary braking system. One of the many tickets I got that day

I never did remove the steering brakes. They were just too much damn fun. Pretty sure a line lock would also run the battery down after awhile.

im considering one of these like izzo installed on his goon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACKWORKS-Universal-Hydraulic-HYDRO-HAND-BRAKE-KIT-HANDBRAKE-DRIFT-E-BRAKE-/260896671204?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbea745e4&vxp=mtr

i would only need the hand brake for a max of a minute to stop my car from rolling while i open the gate on the property and a hydro hand brake would be very rice