Be aware of faulty remanufactured water pumps

After losing 3 fan belts I figured out that the bearing was shot in my water pump in my 521. I got a new one from AutoZone. I removed the radiator, swapped the wp and putting it all back together. Fortunately, I didn't bother putting the coolant back in. When I tried to turn it over it screeched and I stopped. The next morning I took the old wp into the store and had them pull one off the shelf. The impeller on the rebuilts stuck out past the shaft. On the original the end of the shaft was about flush w/ the impeller. Long story short, they called several other stores and all in-stock were the same. After getting the remanufacturer on the phone it was found that the specs show that the distance from the gasket face of the body should be 0.64" to the farthest face of the impeller (at the shaft end).

The ones' in stock were about 0.75" and the impeller blades gouged into the block. Check yours before you put them in. Either by specs or put it in place and make sure it turns freely. It's easy to press it on further if need be even w/ a large c-clamp. It's worth checking.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes me remember when I had a similar problem...however my original water pump wasn't messed up like I thought...just had a gasket leak. I replaced the gasket but now there's an intense whirring noise while my engine isn't under load. anyone have similar problems? I wish I had more time in a garage!

brands that are normally safe are reboxed OEM parts lines...some of napa's altrom line, some of the Beck Arnley line, ect. Let the buyer beware, many of the parts you can buy from import parts suppliers like Worldpac and IMC are starting to be made in china like many of the duralast and other "entry level" or house brand lines. I personally use GMB water pumps if I am unable to find an OEM replacement and the dealer part is too expensive. They are new, the downside is most of the GMB pumps have a stamped impeller, which in theory can cause cavitation in certain applications. I have never seen any issues with cavitation, and out of hundreds installed, I have seen two with bearing issues and four with leaks. I have not seen such a low failure rate from any other waterpump brands(excluding dealship/oem parts).

Just use caution when it comes to oil pumps, water pumps, and other parts that can destroy a motor if they fail. If I am broke and need an air filter or spark plug wire set, I have no problem buying cheap...but lubrication and cooling system parts I prefer not to gamble on.

Check with your Nissan dealership parts counter. Nissan Motors used to offer water pump rebuild kits. If you can pull the cast iron impeller with a gear puller and press the shaft out, the kit has new thrust bearings and seals. Piece of cake, except you really need a hydraulic press to properly press the impeller back on.