What to do.

So I am new here, well lurking in everyone's build threads. Going to store my 82 chev at a friends house to make room in my garage for a datsun. Just missed out on an original lookin 72 510 for $1600, called on it a day late. Now I have found a 77 280z that guy just wants out of his yard, going to look at it tomorrow. Or, I found a 72 240z that I really want but they damn guy is asking $2500 for, way too much for the condition of the car. So what would do you guys think? I think I can get the guy down some on the 240 but hell I don't know, that is the one I really want. Kind of want to stay away form the fuel injected stuff, unless its not that hard to work with? Thoughts.

pics of the 77 280 cheap one.

68datsun.jpg

pic of the 240 expensive one.

orangedatsun.jpg

Also not sure if this is in the right spot but oh well.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the orange one looks quite a bit more complete. Plus I am not sure I want to mess with the fuel injected 280z, don't know how involved the injection system is, but the guy is also only asking $500. Honestly it doesn't matter what one I get, I dig the faded orange paint though, just want to do the typical slam dance and daily it.

Yea that is what I am thinking. How hard is the fuel system on a 280 to work on? Plus, here in Vegas I have to smog anything like 73 and later or something, I will get more pics and better idea when I go look at them tomorrow.

Well the $500 280z is gone, texted the guy saying I would call him in the morning, called him a few times and his phone was off. Then looked for the CL ad and it was gone too, damn. Called on the orange 240 to no answer either, that one is at a wrecking yard according to the voice mail.

So still on the hunt, Seems like they pop up somewhat often out here.

You'll spend more money acquiring the carbs,getting them right,then you will on the FI.

Both systems will require the complete removal of the fuel system and its rubber component replacement.After that,any FI issues are NORMALLY connector related.Parts are still available such as TPS,AFM,FP,FPR.

I'd sell my 73 240z for $1000 as it sits, and its rust free. the most I've spent so far on a z car is $750, the motor was shot but it had the arizona z 4 barrel intake, holley 390cfm carb with turbo pressure seals and turbo setup using a garret a/r 50 m12, which is probably a chinese knock off anyway, new tires, racing seats, 5 point harness's, etc. anyway, I'd say get the 280z cause its cheaper, rattle can it orange and you've got something similar for atleast $550 (factoring in paint.) but I'm a cheap ass so get what you want.

You'll spend more money acquiring the carbs,getting them right,then you will on the FI.

Both systems will require the complete removal of the fuel system and its rubber component replacement.After that,any FI issues are NORMALLY connector related.Parts are still available such as TPS,AFM,FP,FPR.

Depends on if your in a junkyard or on ebay. Fuel injectors are about around $200 for a full set I think, don't quote me on that, but I know a carb rebuild set for 2 carbs is at most $50. Plus, tons of people know how to work on carbs out there, even if he doesn't, so getting help won't be hard. afm's can be around $100 at the cheapest to replace from what I've seen if your looking for a decent one. No trying to offen so sorry if i come off sounding like a d*ck, I'm just trying to throw my 2 cents in there, I think if there's nothing wrong with the fuel injection system though, he should keep it, no point in extra work for nothing.

well if it were vegas new mexico I could deliver my 73 to you. still need to get the new motor in the 240z. To bad you missed the 280z, the airdam and glass looks like it would of been worth it.

Consider that if you switched to carbs, you could probably drive it around fine, but when it came time to smog it, you would have to return it to it's original state. At that point, you would have to RE install the FI and get it working, so you'd be having to do that anyway. I'd say just go with the FI. More efficient, better start ups, and smoother running with no adjustments necessary.