project smurfet 1971 521 datsun sr20det

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool im deffinitly gana have more Questions, one of them bieng about brakes are you running disc brakes? i have brackets that fit the Isuzu rodeo calipers and rotors and the years that they call for are drum brakes in the rear, can i run rodeo front brakes in the front and back of my 521?

• 1 month later...

trying to rap up the majority of brake lines and things in my engine bay before dropping the motor inn , now can i use the stock clutch mc from the 521 for the sr20

Yep, should be a 5/8 bore. S13/14 have 5/8 bores as well as almost every Datsun/Nissan.

• 5 months later...

The truck was for sale until this past weekend when I bought it. The previous owner simply had too many projects going on at once and needed to sell one. My plan for the truck is a major project revival. The guy I bought it from was adament about the 521 going to a good place, and it has. currently the motor and tranny are mounted but the install isn't complete yet. In the coming weeks I am going to pull the motor out and do a complete disassemble and build up. Thankfully I make decent money for now so the engine is getting the through treatment. On the agenda is a 2.2 stroker kit ,9k rpm valvetrain and stand alone engine management. My goal for the motor is 400 wheel hp on a reliable and very streetable build. Of course there is a brakes upgrade in the pipeline, Z32 from what I hear that works. If time and money are permitting I am going to take it down to a fab shop to have either a 4-link or irs. Of course money talks and bs walks. I'll be doing regular posts on the build as well as putting up some videos of what will certainly be an interesting 4 months. I have never done anything besides bolt on upgrades, suspension and wiring on my previous projects so this will all be a new and learning experience digging into the bowels of a motor. Until next time....

. My goal for the motor is 400 wheel hp on a reliable and very streetable datsun build.

google search that sentence above and add ratsun .net at the end ... lemme know how many of those threads end with 400whp or a done car... just saying...your post leads me to believe that shops will be completeing the work ?  

I'll be doing the work on it myself. I've got a shop where I'll be keeping the truck throughout the build that I can just show up and work on it when I have time. Whether I actually get 400 is the question, it's something to work for and not a guaranteed result. But that is the purpose of a goal isn't it. I do have a timeline that the truck needs to be done though so at the bare minimum I am going to build the motor and get it all sorted. The end of May I'll be loading my bike in the back and heading out to the east coast. I've already come up with a fairly comprehensive list of what I want and how much it'll all cost and it fits. Conveniently I don't have many financial obligations that suck my paychecks away.

I dont doubt your abilities or your enthusiasm.  One thing you should consider is the amount HP levels you are trying to reach for.  I would suggest you go for a ride in a 510 with a stock SR and then go from there.  A 510 with a stock SR is a rocket, you are more than doubling the HP on  2100 lbs vehicle.  400 HP with no traction isnt too fun.  300 HP in a 510 or 521 is even a lot but much more manageable.  If you had traction with 400 HP you would be able to smoke most cars and probably get you into the 10 sec 1/4 mile with traction.

I dont doubt your abilities or your enthusiasm.  One thing you should consider is the amount HP levels you are trying to reach for.  I would suggest you go for a ride in a 510 with a stock SR and then go from there.  A 510 with a stock SR is a rocket, you are more than doubling the HP on  2100 lbs vehicle.  400 HP with no traction isnt too fun.  300 HP in a 510 or 521 is even a lot but much more manageable.  If you had traction with 400 HP you would be able to smoke most cars and probably get you into the 10 sec 1/4 mile with traction.

speaks the truth.....most common noob error ....overpowering it up......a 521 with a stock sr or ka no boost would be the funnest shit since learning to masterbate left handed .....no homo

FYI if your really thinking IRS go check out black deaths thread ... My 521 down in the lab .....is the thread that and check out Jesus no 2 thread .... Oh no not another 521..thread he's four linkin one......

Me I'm all talk.. I got plans for a four link but I got a goon, a Mazda, and a jetboat to finish first ....lol

Thanks for the advice, in my naiveté I will conceed that I've been a bit ambitious with the figures. I did quite a bit of searching last night and saw plenty of 510's with ~300hp that were indeed little monsters. The only 400hp one I found snapped a half shaft mid run, don't want that. Adjusting fire I'm still going with all the parts I've already researched but going for lower numbers which will make for a bulletproof build and still a very quick truck. For the rear I am still trying to work out the suspension/diff/axle problem to put in wider wheels/tires. i'll check the threads, thanks again.

Thanks for the advice, in my naiveté I will conceed that I've been a bit ambitious with the figures. I did quite a bit of searching last night and saw plenty of 510's with ~300hp that were indeed little monsters.

My 510 Wagon dyno'ed at 297 HP at the wheels and it is plenty fast without getting out of control.  As long as I don't dump the clutch I can run at full throttle through 1st and 2nd with the rear end just on the edge of breaking loose, it just sort of wiggles a little.  This is with 205/50/15 tires on the back.  Much more HP and the tires would be breaking loose. And so far, nothing has broken.  The rear end is the stock wagon with an open differential.  Limited slip is on the list of things, but there is no easy solution for the wagon.  The motor has more HP in it since I am only running 10 PSI boost, but that is fine for now.

• 1 month later...

A long overdue update: Over the last few weekends I've been busy pulling the motor apart and out. First thing I noticed was that there were a lot of bolts missing from different parts: transmission, starter etc... Aside from that the motor is in good condition, no scratches on the bore, burnt pistons or anything which is a big help. Today was the first round of parts ordering: Brian Crower Valve Spring and Retainer Kit, SuperTech Valve Stem Seals, Tomei 1mm Oversized Valve Set, Tomei Adjustable Cam Gear, Tomei PROCAM Camshafts (Solid Type) 270 int & exh, Tomei Rocker Arm Stoppers, Tomei Solid Pivot Lifter Set, Tomei Valve Guide Set, and Tomei N2 Oil Block Adapter. I'll be taking the head to a machine shop hopefully before the weekend to get worked over with a 3 angle valve job and all the necessary modifications needed for the new equipment. I can't put up pictures from my phone or work computer, but I'll get them up as soon as I can. The truck has a lot of surface rust that I'll be taking care of while the motor is being worked over.

Thanks! That Ls is going to be a bad beast though!

Last weekend I finished breaking down the engine, pulled the pistons and crank. Yesterday I took the day off work and went to the shop to work on the block. I took about an hour or so degreasing, pressure washing and hot soaking the block and girdle to get them as clean as I could without going to extremes. Turns out that some of the parts I thought were black are actually a pretty anodized metal. Anyway, I loaded up the block and, luck for me I live in so-cal, drove up to Darton and dropped it off to get bored and sleeved. If any of you are thinking about sending/taking your block up to them in Carlsbad they are on a 20-30 day turn around time. Initially I was a bit upset but realized that just gives me more time to get my totally JDM parts in, ha ha. Other than that I am going to start working on the chassis this weekend. Taking care of surface rust, deciding what goes to get powder coated and the biggest headache I think for this project....the brakes. I know there are a few writeups on converting to disk brakes. I don't know how to do it off the top of my head but I can follow directions like a motha! Any adivce you guys have I am more than open to it.

Did some maths last week and came up with a very interesting find. Given the rpms I'll be running, tire profile, gear ratios and final drive: in 5th gear at 9000rpm the truck should be doing about 198mph! That's just according to the math, I know that it is improbable, impractical and downright dangerous. Just thought I'd have a laugh though.

• Like 1