Having trouble getting into gear at idle

chebetio510

So within the last 2 weeks my truck is having issues getting into 1st, 2nd, and reverse...

Today i replaced clutch slave cylinder. i have presure. but notice that when in gear and pedal fully pushed in the truck moves forward a bit or reverse if it was in reverse. as if i was releasing teh pedal.. i know there is no adjustment for the pedal clearnece like on my 510. help with this? Clutch doesnt slip or anything..

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you replaced the release bearing and maybe changed the housing that holds it at the same time???

Releasebearingcollarwithbearing.jpg

If you did you need to put the old one back in.

Check the peddle free play. Push down lightly on the clutch peddle with your thumb. There should be a couple of mm or 1/16" of free play.. Too much play will reduce the slave travel and the clutch may not release fully and drag.

Good, that should work.

Was the release bearing the type that is greased and permanently sealed, or did you have to grease it yourself before installing? Is there any sounds that come and go when using the clutch?

I can only think of a few reasons for this to happen:

1) Hydraulic issue. Most common. You replaced the slave, but the master can cause the same problem if it'd bypassing internally or letting air in. I had one that would work until the engine got hot, then the master stopped working or lost effectiveness.

2) Mechanical problems

a) you didn't get the throwout bearing pressed all the way on, and over time it has finally gotten all the way onto the collar.

B) the "new" clutch was faulty and is delaminating. I had that happen once. It happened fairly slowly, but eventually the clutch wouldn't release at all. Naturally it happened 50 miles from home.

Or, it could simply be misadjusted. The adjuster is at the pedal end, and if the lock nut wasn't tightened all the way down the rod freely rotates and can change the adjustment.

My first thought is hydraulic too. I have bought new remanufactured clutch master and slave and they were toast out of the box. It probably need to be bled again.

I noticed that it seemed like pedal all the way in, couldn't get into a gear, then chunk after a few pumps. I re-bled it with and it worked until air some how got back into the system in a day or so.

I was on a job site way out in the sticks. Couldn't get it into gear. Engine off, put it in gear, then start. Couldn't shift into higher gears.

I had six ounces of brake fluid left in a container. I got under the truck and opened the bleeder on the slave and just let fluid run out, then tightened. Filled with fluid, opened the bleeder another time and got it to work for another week.

Another truck, I had a little crack in the rubber hose to the slave, it was letting in air the system just enough to let it go into gear if it had been pumped, but not all the time.

My $0.02

New hydraulic parts aren't hardly worth the bags/boxes they're in these days.

I bought a new slave a few months back and actually had to re-use the old seal/piston in the new housing. The new seal was much too small and the fluid was blowing right by it.

Good, that should work.

Was the release bearing the type that is greased and permanently sealed, or did you have to grease it yourself before installing? Is there any sounds that come and go when using the clutch?

I am getting what i think is throw out bearing noise. squeal but only when i have clutch pedal all the way in or while releasing... when pedal is out no noise

My first thought is hydraulic too. I have bought new remanufactured clutch master and slave and they were toast out of the box. It probably need to be bled again.

I noticed that it seemed like pedal all the way in, couldn't get into a gear, then chunk after a few pumps. I re-bled it with and it worked until air some how got back into the system in a day or so.

I was on a job site way out in the sticks. Couldn't get it into gear. Engine off, put it in gear, then start. Couldn't shift into higher gears.

I had six ounces of brake fluid left in a container. I got under the truck and opened the bleeder on the slave and just let fluid run out, then tightened. Filled with fluid, opened the bleeder another time and got it to work for another week.

Another truck, I had a little crack in the rubber hose to the slave, it was letting in air the system just enough to let it go into gear if it had been pumped, but not all the time.

i will try to to adjust at master cylinder see if that helps for the time being.. thanks for the help

I am getting what i think is throw out bearing noise. squeal but only when i have clutch pedal all the way in or while releasing... when pedal is out no noise

Well if dry the bearing may not be spinning and it will wear the diaphragm fingers down. The clutch will start to not disengage. Watch the push rod between the slave and the clutch arm and have someone work the clutch. It should move an inch or so.

i adjusted the the master cylinder at the pedal... it does help as far as getting into gears. but the clutch slips.. :/ so i have to bring it back to where it was before.. or mess with it until i get the exact point