521 upper link shaft seals, which way?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My diagram shows from the out side, moving inwards... grease nipple, bushing assy, outer dust seal, dust seal clamp, inner dust seal, and the upper link all this goes on.

Does it show which way up the inner dust seal goes, is it the same as the first or second picture?

Thanks for the help.

I ran out of time to take pics today, but Wayno and I looked at an arm I had. The seals were in good shape, but I have no clue if they were untouched from the factory or if they've been replaced in the past. The seals were in like the second picture. I would think that they should be in like the first pic. I'll try to pop the seals tomorrow and take some pics.

Here's the exploded view from the parts manual.....like Mike said...you can't tell which way it's supposed to go.....

39....seal - dust, inner

40....clamp - dust seal

41....seal - dust, outer

No indication of any o-ring, but I would suspect that the o-ring is intended to be the clamp. Normally, the clamp is a metal spring, but I can see an oring working. Maybe???? With the way the outer dust shield fits, I don't really think it needs the clamp.

FrontSpindleparts.jpg

The chassis manual doesn't show any detailed pics either.

Thanks heaps guys for your help. I did find a seal still in one of the old bushes and it was in the way like picture 2. Looking at the seals I would have thought for them to go like picture 1 as this would help retain the grease within the seals. Also I know this car has had alot of maintenence and can't be certain if this is from factory or someone has changed it. There were no clamps on the outer seals either when I took them apart, either fallen off or not put back on when or if they were changed.

I need to replace these bushes on my truck. Did you spring for the Ni$$an dealer parts or find a different source? My upper links can wobble almost 1/4" due to these bushes - hopefully the last of my front suspension issues (cause I replaced everything else!).

I need to replace these bushes on my truck. Did you spring for the Ni$$an dealer parts or find a different source? My upper links can wobble almost 1/4" due to these bushes - hopefully the last of my front suspension issues (cause I replaced everything else!).

I bought new complete kits off ebay a little while from a guy in Aisa.