datsun 620 rc body... can you do it?

Alright so I know there's a lot of you out there doing the fiberglass thing.. I want to find someone who can make me a 1/8th scale 620 king cab (cab only pref, but whole body would be sick too) and vynle people could you make the stickers for it? I'm pretty much looking for a 1/8 scale of MY truck to put on my rock crawler.. shoot me a price and sample pics of some of your work.. as soon as I can ill post pictures of my cralwer its a redcat rockslide 1/8th scale

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I've seen a video of a 1/8 scale rock crawler on youtube that has a 620 body. Somebody ought to make one. Been searching for 10 minutes, still can't find it.

Okay, here we are, that's definitely a 620 cab. Ignore the retarded music, maybe you can email the guy and see where he found the body. Sorry, that is a 1:24 scale I see now. Still, if they make one small, they should make a bigger version you'd think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfNqQQzYPbk

• Like 1

Yeah the ute body is made for Tamiya M chassis which is 1/10 scale of cars like miata and mini cooper. So, its small.

If somebody were to carve a plug for a 620 and then have them vacu molded from lexan,, they could sell em by the dozens on ebay.

To vacuum form lexan, the mold could be plaster or wood. Wood being preferable. How about get ahold of some kid at a comunity college and have him draw it in cad,, then see if the machine shop class would cut it out of aluminum or delrin plastic,, or wood?

Thats for the mold anyway.

Another option would be to start with something like the cab of the Tamiya Toyota Hilux:

ltamc1851.jpg

http://www3.towerhob...p?&I=LXTWF2&P=7

The body is styrene, so you can cut, melt, and custom make the rest. You'd have to make the grille and change a few body lines, but if you're handy with a small saw, razor blade, CA glue and have some time, it can be done. I've seen people make other truck bodies using this as a base. If no one else is going to make it, then you've got to take matters into your own hands, as other hobby guys do.

The more expensive option would be to have it digitally made in a CAD program, then have the buck cut on a 3 or 5 axis mill out of modeling resin (commonly called Rennshape) or similar material. Super hard foam, plaster, and wood are other possible options. A billet aluminum buck would be impressive but it would probably run you thousands just in material and milling costs alone.

We did this stuff all day long in design school. It's a lot of fun to vac form- once you have a solid mold you can crank out parts like nothing.

I was thinking Tamiya hilux too, but is it really close enough to make a Datsun from it? There is currently a reissue from Tamiya, and parts are cheaper than the original.

Truck cabs are essentially the same once you strip off the detail and notable marks, like the grille, bumper and badging. If you tweaked that Hilux body with the bullet side (easily made using the inside of a styrene tube) and created a 620ish grille for it with more styrene stock, I think it would be convincing. It wouldn't be exact, but considering the amount of effort and little investment involved (that Hilux cab can be had for under $20) it would be "close enough" in my opinion.

Also, that Hilux bodyset is pretty big for 1/10 scale, it's more like 1/9 or even 1/8 scale which is what the OP is after. I have a collection of original Tamiya Bruisers and HIlux trucks and the bodies are huge compared to standard 1/10 scale truck bodies. Man, I paid an arm and a leg for those trucks years ago. It's neat that they've been re-released and making the parts available again. That cab, banged up and painted over 5 times with a paintbrush would have costed $100 5-6 years ago. Now, fresh and new for $20!

• 1 year later...