Just bought a '72 521

helmincamaro

New here, just bought a '72 521. Haven't touched it yet, but should have it home in the next day or two. Only issues I know of is the lack of a battery and a distributor issue. Its got 70K original miles and is believed to be totally original under the hood..... any suggestions on things to try?

Paul

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well my first suggestion is take as many pictures you can and post them on here by uploading them to photobucket (or the like) then posting the URL code here, people here tend to be impatient when it comes to pictures haha. my suggestion as far as the distr. goes, id switch to electronic ignition.

Welcome! Im always happy to see another 521 show up :)

• Like 1

well my first suggestion is take as many pictures you can and post them on here by uploading them to photobucket (or the like) then posting the URL code here, people here tend to be impatient when it comes to pictures haha. my suggestion as far as the distr. goes, id switch to electronic ignition.

Welcome! Im always happy to see another 521 show up :)

I'd like to switch to an electric ignition..... might just see if I can get it running with what its got..... can't beat free right? lol I'll post pics as soon as I can, it might not be pretty on the eyes...... but gimme a little time ;)

Free 521? Definitely can't beat that... I paid a lot more than that for each of mine.

I agree, let's see pictures... Who cares if it's not pretty on the eyes, it's got a lot of potential.

I meant tweaking the distributor..... that's free lol. I'll take pics when I can..... its black with a few dings and dents...... but its old, don't most old things have a few bangs and bruises? ;)

just my 2 cents worth, get a car dolly or a trailer or chain w/ used tire and bring the 521home, that way you're not driving back and forth wasting gas and time. Once you get it home, take a lot of pic's, post your 521 pic's on Ratsun and then you can start figuring out whats wrong w/ the 521.

Their's always some one Ratsun to help you.

ratsunopened25hrs.jpg

just my 2 cents worth, get a car dolly or a trailer or chain w/ used tire and bring the 521home, that way you're not driving back and forth wasting gas and time. Once you get it home, take a lot of pic's, post your 521 pic's on Ratsun and then you can start figuring out whats wrong w/ the 521.

Their's always some one Ratsun to help you.

ratsunopened25hrs.jpg

lol, that sign is awesome! I might tow it home, if its just the distributor, I'll fix it there and drive it home (hopefully)

Awesome, that's a nice little truck... Reminds me of mine when I first got it. Ah, I remember that day...

Hopefully it's just the dizzy, but renting a car dolly from U-haul isn't that expensive, assuming you've got a car with a hitch. You should be able to get one of the two-wheeled ones, as they're shorter... If you get there and the only problem is the distributor, then fix it and drive it home. If there's something else, then throw it on the dolly and drag it back. Worse comes to worst, you spent $20 to rent a dolly that you don't need, but if it's a 30 minute drive each way then you might save yourself a lot more time and money by not coming home empty-handed.

And yeah, $400 isn't bad... How's the interior? Is the seat all shredded? Where are the rest of the pics? :D

Awesome, that's a nice little truck... Reminds me of mine when I first got it. Ah, I remember that day...

Hopefully it's just the dizzy, but renting a car dolly from U-haul isn't that expensive, assuming you've got a car with a hitch. You should be able to get one of the two-wheeled ones, as they're shorter... If you get there and the only problem is the distributor, then fix it and drive it home. If there's something else, then throw it on the dolly and drag it back. Worse comes to worst, you spent $20 to rent a dolly that you don't need, but if it's a 30 minute drive each way then you might save yourself a lot more time and money by not coming home empty-handed.

And yeah, $400 isn't bad... How's the interior? Is the seat all shredded? Where are the rest of the pics? :D

interior isn't too bad. Its about 5 minutes from a friend of mine's who's got a fleet of big trucks and trailers....... friends are nice sometimes right? lol