Coil Swap?

SRSANDS

I just blew that white resistor....at least I tink I did. The spring isnt broken but the sadust lookin material is......not sure if its ok still. Anyways does anyone know if I can due away with it and use a coil with no external resistor required?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can test it with a multi tester. on ohms. if the meter 0's out it is good.

even if you go el dizzy you will still need 1

also you can unplug it on both sides and hook the wires together to see if your car still runs. don't operate it like that. just for test purposes

no, you don't need the resistor if you go with an electro-dizzy. you just need the dizzy and a coil that is meant to be used with an electronic dizzy.

if you use the points coil with an electronic dizzy, it will burn up. as the points coil was only meant to see 6 volts and your feeding it 12. i'm using an msd blaster 2, with my matchbox dizzy, or you can use a coil from a car that orig had an electronic dizzy, like the 200sx, 720, etc....

if you run the points dizzy with out the resistor it will burn up your points, the resistor is there to drop the voltage down to 6 volts from 12.

you can get a coil that was meant to run with an electronic dizzy but you will still need a resistor, if your going to run points still

so, i'd say just get a new resistor if you plan on sticking with points. and since your hooking everything back up, double check that the right wires are going into the resistor.

If you have a points coil (the stock ones are marked "External Resistor Required" or "Ballast Resistor Required" on them) you have to have the resistor, or you will fry the coil. This is irregardless of the distributer used.

If you have points, you have to use the ballast resistor unless you buy a coil with built in resistance. Otherwise you'll fry the points.

If you have an EI dist, then it depends on what kind of EI. A Pertronix requires a ballast resistor when using the stock coil, OR a coil with built-in resistance. Running full unballasted current fries the pertronix.

A STOCK Datsun EI dist can run on a points coil, but why you'd do that I dunno (it would still need the ballast to protect the coil) but typically you just run the stock unballasted coil or similar aftermarket.

If you have an EI dist, then it depends on what kind of EI. A Pertronix requires a ballast resistor when using the stock coil, OR a coil with built-in resistance. Running full unballasted current fries the pertronix.

I've been running Pertronix for more than 8 years now on one of my Datsun and only 1 used coil failed and the other 3 Datsuns with Pertronix are running fine. Not one Pertronix failed.

Using a full unballasted coil from OEM Nissan coil (SR, VG....motors).

Pertronix has been fine with these Nissan coils from the yard ($5).

This is just my experience using them.

I'm not suggesting to use them cause sounds like it should not work.

I don't know the reason why it's still working then.

Would like to find out why.