what gauge sheet metal is a 510 floor board

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the thinnest places it looks slightly thinner than 20 guage ..... ... maybe 22ag????

...... but you could probaly cut a 510 in half with a MIG welder,,,, because the metal is so fucking thin

I wouldn't use anything thinner than 18-20ag .. ... even if it's a small patch . ,,,, because it's really easy to burn holes in the floor

INDY has it spot on 100% ... i used 18-gauge on my 240z floor board and frame in-lay ... its def thicker than stock but if you dont have mig/gas it can be difficult ...

Take the area you think you can patch/weld in successfully .... and times it by 3 ... for worst case scenario ... i get picky though lol

18-gauge steel 4ftx4ft sheet = shouldnt cost more than $38.00

I dont know the prices for 20 or 22 gauge

Goid luck :)

Here are approximate thicknesses, and the gauge number. You can measure the metal witha micrometer, some calipers, or even compare it a feeler gauge, by feeling a difference in thickness.

Be aware that where the metal is stamped into a compound curve, it most likely stretched to form the curve, and will be thinner.

.022 = 24 ga

.025 = 23 ga

.028 = 22 ga

.032 = 21 ga Approx 1/32"

.035 = 20 ga

.042 = 19 ga

.049 = 18 ga

.054 = 17 ga

.065 = 16 ga Approx 1/16

• 2 weeks later...

yup 20 guage is nice to bend, but 18 is much better to weld.... get a weld punch and do spot welds or lap welds on your seams... less likely to blow through the metal. Use weld through primer too for metal prodtetion so you don't have to do it again in 3 years.