Stuck Fender, need some ideas?

ehime

Hey guys I have the two lower screws in my 610's fender stuck. If you don't know what I'm talking about,

it's the two screws that are inset into the bottom/back of the fender that are inset in the fender holes. It

looks like typically they'd be covered by the chrome running boards, but mine were missing on my wagon

and the screw heads are drastically corroded. The farthest back one looks like a triangle, and the forward

one is misshapen and in just about as bad of a condition. I've been trying to soak them in penetrating oil for

the last week, but the suckers are locked tight.

Any ideas on how to tackle this problem? Thanks, Jd

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does, and I want to keep it and fix it later, so that's a no go.

I tried drilling it out and think my bits are too soft, I broke two

last night and damn near took out an eye.

Thank god for glasses....

Guys you think if I torch them it'll flex the fender? I'm worried

about applying heat to such a narrow space and seriously

screwing it up...

Using a torch will remove the bolt heads, but I have said this before. Using a cutting torch id like using a cannon to kill a housefly. It does kill the fly, but there is a lot of collateral damage.

A cold chisel, and a hammer will also work, with only less damage than the torch.

Another idea, is to use a 3" x 1/32" cutoff wheel on a die grinder. Grind off the head of the bolt

You might also try to use a hole saw to cut the fender inner panel around the bolt, get the fender out of the way, with no, or little damage to the outer skin of the fender, and with the fender out of the way, then remove the bad bolt. With the fender off, repair the hole you made in the fender.