rebuilt engine seized?!!

.sunlover

ummmm.... 99% sure it's from a '76. 620 for sure. Wait, scratch that... The u67 head was swapped on the l16 521 when I got it. different cam now, and port matched the w58 intake. They're held in by the same bolts in the middle.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it has an old header on it, but of course a leak their doesn't explain the no start bs. The slow response was because I wen't back out there to try starting it again, and it sounded like it was gonna' fire up. ....got all excited and had to rub one off real quick hehe. jk, jk, just had to crank it until the starter got warm.

Just checking. The '75 through '77 had the intake bolted to the exhaust with a thin plate between them so hot exhaust would warm the intake air. In the picture below you're looking up under the intake and can see the holes for the carb. If you have this intake and the cover plate is loose, leaking or corroded there will be a vacuum leak.

U-67intextmanifold001Large.jpg

cyl #1 cable seems to be on the 2nd sparkplug and cyl #3 has the 4th sparkplug connected, unless they are switched on the sparkplug side.

Yeah...something is amuk.

Assuming he's out 180 on spindle.....then 2 and 3 are wrong

Ive just added the numbers over your pic for how the wires should go. Hope it helps.

0507112001.jpg

All relative to where the rotor is pointing.

On a L20B......No 1 should be around where No 3 is...if the spindle is in the correct position

Like this

Spindle.jpg

Thanks, but that is an old picture of it when it was running, and I was driving it. I originally didn't get the oil pump in just right, and had the timing held by a big washer making it look like it's off. 2 and 3 do cross on the other side of the engine. I would be sooooo happy if it was that simple, but I would have found it already if it was. I double checked if I need to move my wires by 1 now, and when i'm at my timing mark, the rotor points to the plug wire i'm using as number 1, then 3 4 2.

You did double check for backwards wires? The crank spins twice for 1 set of firing. Meaning piston #1 will be at the top twice, and only one of those 2 times will it fire. My friends truck really wanted to start made sounds but no catching. FLipped 1&4 and 2&3 and all was good.

You did double check for backwards wires? The crank spins twice for 1 set of firing. Meaning piston #1 will be at the top twice, and only one of those 2 times will it fire. My friends truck really wanted to start made sounds but no catching. FLipped 1&4 and 2&3 and all was good.

I'll try it, what do I have to lose, right?

THANK YOU LAECAON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PURRING LIKE A MOUNTAIN LION! I'd feel like a fucking retard if I wasn't so busy being thrilled!

whats the deal with the funky fuel line set up next to the header????????Isnt the fuel line come from the other side?

This manual fuel pump? Electric? Pressure set right?

if timmed,has gas and compression it will fire

went with 3/8 fuel line and electric pump with a fuel pressure gauge in the cab. wherever the line used to be, it's now running down the drivers side, and not near enough to the header to blow myself up. it's hard to see that in the picture.

sO WHAT WAS IT?

WRONG plug wires on?

1 3 4 2 Counter clockwise!!!!!!!! You went clockwise?

when I tear apart a engine, I always leave the plugs going to the dizzy attached. so there is no confusion. Really its simple. where rotor locks down thats number one. then go 3 4 2 counter clock wise.

unless you put the pump spindal in wrong

put the dizzy mount in 180 off also

0507112001.jpg

Your idea of "not near enough to the header to blow myself up" may be different to mine. The fuel line should at least be mounted to the inner fender on the other side of the steering column. A fuel pressure gauge in the cab!!!!!!!! on a rubber hose!!! No one needs to know their fuel pressure that bad!!! It would work just as well under the hood beside the carb. Always think worst case scenario. Accident on your side and rubber hose torn away from gauge spraying fuel into the cab. Have to ask.... how is the electric fuel pump turned off if you are knocked out/injured? The ignition key? We want you around for a long time. Please take another look at this.

sO WHAT WAS IT?

WRONG plug wires on?

1 3 4 2 Counter clockwise!!!!!!!! You went clockwise?

when I tear apart a engine, I always leave the plugs going to the dizzy attached. so there is no confusion. Really its simple. where rotor locks down thats number one. then go 3 4 2 counter clock wise.

unless you put the pump spindal in wrong

put the dizzy mount in 180 off also

I have been fooled by this many times, not only on Datsuns. Lost a day of my Easter weekend break battling with firing order/timing on a Volkswagen Polo motor