Wirining in my L16 72 510

SRSANDS

So I started running my bundle this weekend and got so pissed off I ripped it out again.....its alot easier I suppose if all you relays are intact and you don have to assume one goes here and there. Anyways can somebody help me out on the drivers side of the engine bay. The coil has the white porcelain box abov it and what looks like a capacitor connected to one side and mounted under the coil. What color wire connects the the on side of the white unit on the male connector? Where is the headlight relay located? What color wires go to the two points? Is there a plug or two that go to nothing but maybe a after market unit or something. I have looked at several pics of engine bays and I see unplugged plugs sittin around but not sure......Jeff and Frank are incredible at what they know but they live so so far away and I dont wanna keep bugging them on the phone. If I can get an idea of how the harness is routed I can go from there hopefully. Im not sure who has those huge color schematics but Im thinkin about buyin one from whom ever. Any info would help me out I hooked it up Sunday...got one outside headlight to low dim and a buzz in the cab thats about it......how discouraging!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here is a basic diagram for the balsst resisitor(the white ceramic thing to you)

the wht /black wire will have 12volt in the ON position

the blue/blk wire is the hot start wire that bypasses the balsst to give coil the full 12volts.

if you have this the car will run.

rmember if running this sytem u use a point resisitance coil .So hopefully its stock

WHY WAS HE HARNESS REMOVED?

its hard to explain this stuff over the net.

the headlight relay is on the passenger side strut tower in back facing the fuse box. also ck light be getting another and hook it straight in back with out light touching the housing.

http://www.allcarbs.com/shop.html

ballast510_thumb.jpg

I can't help you except give u advise, next time u get pist off, WALK away from it for awhile. I'm not trying to b a smart ass - just I know how u feel sumtyms, it has happened to me @ times and I have found out it works 4 me. By walking away, it helps not destroying your trk, wiring, or what ever and when u come back u say 2 your self, SELF I sure I'm glad I didn't BLOW my COOOOL and MY TIME and $$$$$$$. BOY do I feel better. OH 1 more thing ---- take 2 aspirins. hope u get it back together ... peace and out

Take a printout of it to the local copy shop where you can have it enlarged. Then have it laminated so you can wipe the grease off. It should only cost you about 5 bucks total max. This also helps when you get too old to see, which I'm not, but I learned that trick from an old man who wires race cars. He pins it up on a wall and lays out the whole harness to rebuild it. Smart, I say.

• 2 months later...
on the same line there is relay mounted on the left side radator that something to do with the ignition system. what the hell does it do:confused:i can not get the damn 510 to start. i do not think this the problem but i want to make sure. thanks steve

You know I've noticed that relay as well. Only noticed on my 1972 510's it isn't present on my my 71 510...

I am wondering what it does as well. Before I got my automatic wagon to start it would make a click when I turned the key. Managed to bypass it by splicing in to one of ignition wires and connecting it directly to the flat connector on the starter solinoid (instead of the stock wire that goes there). That got it started up. Once I connected all the wires to my automatic it started with the key. So I imagine it does have to do with inhibiting the starter.

My friend did it another way but I forgot how. It had something to do with connecting the positive terminal directly to the coil with a wire.. Basicly bypassed the whole system and managed to get it to start up. I'm pretty sure thats how he did it but I wouldn't recomend it unless you have a clue what I'm talking about. :lol:

Anyways hopefully some one has a technical name for that relay or a way to get rid of it.