Desperation...Need help with camshafts

reddituser

Hi all! well after jumping a tooth, and bending some valves, my machinist noticed my camshaft was also shot. I know next to nothing about how to source or spec camshafts, and despite heavy searching on the internet for used or reman cams, I have come up with little information and fewer sources.

The motor is an L18, and at this point I'm looking for either a stock cam or even something "hotter". the motor has a free exhaust and dual webber sidedrafts so I think it could accomodate a hotter cam but as I said I know very little. It may also make more sense financially to just buy a remanufactured head, but I haven't been able to find one.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can buy a cam or reman head? even a used head would make me happy. Doesn't have to be perfect I just want it to run!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all! well after jumping a tooth, and bending some valves, my machinist noticed my camshaft was also shot. I know next to nothing about how to source or spec camshafts, and despite heavy searching on the internet for used or reman cams, I have come up with little information and fewer sources.

Guess you wasnt trying hard at all

webcamshafts

Isky cam shafts

Schneider does regrinds.

Colt cams out of Canada

many others,

PS cams cost money ,new rocker armsn lash pads retainers and springs would be also needed. Can cheat a little on the true specs but best to say how much money you got and what your machinst can actually do. He says cam is bad. Lets see it. Stock cams are pretty lame unless you just want a running car then they are fine.

As for jumping a tooth? I believe most times this is a Fairy Tale. I seen them off 2 teeth and still run, just power wasnt right.

How does a double roller chain jump a tooth? only if there is so slack side guide or the tensioner was totally wipped out.

L18 go L20 and maybe get a Webcam 488/252 cam

Isly has pakage sets which might be best also.the 475 the 480 would be good street cams with sidedrafts. if down drafts I wouldnt waist my money and just find a L20 and put a weber 38/38 on there and call it good.

http://vimeo.com/19077890

Hainz! I used your video to assemble my motor...shouldn't say jumped a tooth, I got the chain wrong and bent a valve, at least one. I don't have the cam as the head is with the machinist, but one lobe is slightly ground down. I'm tempted to just leave it there as the car was running before

One tooth is only 9 degrees of cam angle. Almost the same as moving two holes on the cam sprocket (8 degrees)so not likely.

What can do this is having the motor at TDC, taking the head off and moving the cam to some other position while working on it, and then bolting it down with the #1 and #4 valves at full lift.

One tooth is only 9 degrees of cam angle. Almost the same as moving two holes on the cam sprocket (8 degrees)so not likely.

What can do this is having the motor at TDC, taking the head off and moving the cam to some other position while working on it, and then bolting it down with the #1 and #4 valves at full lift.

That must have been it...I had to bolt it down to rotate the cam to TDC and that happening completely slipped my mind