Project 5Teeezy.........A Pharaoh's 510.....

Busta Nut

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I obviously cannot drive it this low......can't turn the wheel more than a 1/4 turn before tire hits the fender........

I raised it up and went for a short drive with Skyblue and FtO......by this time it's about 1:30a.m.

Forgot to get oics with all the excitment.....

Went home and parked.........came out to this the next morning......

IMG_7205_zpsfa83aff5.jpg

IMG_7206_zps3bac327d.jpg

IMG_7207_zpsa8c273d5.jpg

IMG_7208_zps601da062.jpg

Fuck.......

ooffa!

• Like 1

I just snapped some pics of my current front strut 280Zx casings...you are a little lower than i am on the lower perch that should be welded to the strut casing :).  I am about 9.75" from where the tube inserts into the spindle to the surface the the 102mm GC threaded collar sits on.  Still have room to go down although, it would be too much low...

• Like 1

Nice.....yes this is too low......don't know why anyone would need a shorter strut than this...........

What happened was the split collar slipped..........but the strange thing is that it did not slip while I was driving it.........

..........not till it sat overnight.......being clamped over the paint was a bad idea......and I thought about it briefly but didn't think it would be this big an issue.......since this wasn't permanent....

• Like 1

Maybe.......didn't think it got that cold....

I have to beg my landlord now for 20 min of car time........we can't open our hoods @ our building without being bitched at...... :poop:

Both sides.....weird shit.....barely rolls.....scrapes the ground though........

Like I said earlier......this was temp to find the height I want to leave them at.......I want perches welded in.......

Landlord granted time :sweat:

• Like 1

Nice.....yes this is too low......don't know why anyone would need a shorter strut than this...........

What happened was the split collar slipped..........but the strange thing is that it did not slip while I was driving it.........

..........not till it sat overnight.......being clamped over the paint was a bad idea......and I thought about it briefly but didn't think it would be this big an issue.......since this wasn't permanent....

that is to low 

couldnt help myself 

you didnt clamp it tight enough because you didnt want to scratch the paint 

that is to low 

couldnt help myself 

you didnt clamp it tight enough because you didnt want to scratch the paint 

I think when you scrape the ground with the sub frame it is classified as too low......

When you can't move you're car because the frame catches pebbles......you might be too low.......

I tightened the shit out of them...and locktite......

......and no it's not from a hair curler

• Like 1

what material are your collars? Aluminum or stainless? Steel usually comes in black oxide but also have the highest axial loading forces.

Aluminum.......paint was the culprit.......

ive gotta say it looks fuckin boss sittin low like that tho...

glad you got it figured... 

i was thinkin about what jake said about the collars being aluminum.. 

you think they stretched out and lost grip? the paint seems the likely culprit, but i was just wonderin...

• Like 1

Steel would press the paint till it wasn't an issue. I was about to eat my words till I read that. Aluminum is less than a quarter of the rated load. No good. Hardened steel only. Also won't lead to problems with dissimilar metals.

• Like 1

ive gotta say it looks fuckin boss sittin low like that tho...

glad you got it figured... 

i was thinkin about what jake said about the collars being aluminum.. 

you think they stretched out and lost grip? the paint seems the likely culprit, but i was just wonderin...

It does look fuckin' BOSS.......wish it could be driven this low.......

Bolts were still pretty tight around the collars.....my guess is the paint wasn't completely cured......re positioned and tightened the shit out of them again......

Also installed a bigger bump stop so it doesn't fall to the ground and get me stuck somewhere.......

Took her for another drive this morning with the bigger bump stop and height set to 21.5" to the fender lip.......tire is just about level with the fender.....no tuck....

Koni shocks set to sport......that's the middle setting on these....#3 of 5......175lb springs.....

Must say the ride is pretty cush and no rubbing at all......I'll take her out for a harder drive at lunch to see if the fender rubs on hard turns......

OICS......

IMG_7209_zps5036762a.jpg

IMG_7211_zps91c4d0ed.jpg

• Like 2

New height for now......more driving needs to be done to see where it bottoms and how much rubbing goes on......

I'd like to go lower.....but I'll probably need stiffer springs.....

IMG_7216_zps80a1b809.jpg

IMG_7217_zps0b876e85.jpg

• Like 2