78 chev shorty 4x

Picked this truck up about 6 months ago. It's set up with a factory 4barrel 350 and a sm465 manual trans/granny gear mated to an np205 case. 12 bolt out back and 44 up front. I haven't had the diff covers off yet but the torque is quite impressive with 35's, I'm thinking possibly 4.56's. Truck was loaded from the factory, minus a/c and p/w. I believe its got a tough country 6" lift with the extended steering arm. Its quite rusty, but with new used tires, new used 16" wheels, new ignition switch, 2 new ujoints I'm into it for a little under $700.

0226121344a.jpg

0226121416b.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked this truck up about 6 months ago. It's set up with a factory 4barrel 350 and a sm465 manual trans/granny gear mated to an np205 case. 12 bolt out back and 44 up front. I haven't had the diff covers off yet but the torque is quite impressive with 35's, I'm thinking possibly 4.56's. Truck was loaded from the factory, minus a/c and p/w. I believe its got a tough country 6" lift with the extended steering arm. Its quite rusty, but with new used tires, new used 16" wheels, new ignition switch, 2 new ujoints I'm into it for a little under $700.

Looks like a fun little (using the term loosely) beater truck~! Keep in mind that the truck 12-bolts are not as strong as the old car units~ and it's mounted in a truck. No parts are interchangeable between the two. This makes your rear axle the weakest link in your drivetrain. Sell it to someone building a street truck and replace with a corporate 14 bolt for a fairly bulletproof drivetrain. Although harder to find upgrade parts for (not that you'll need any), the corporate 10-bolt front axle is much tougher than the D-44 (about .2" larger axle and pinion diameters), and equal to in strength and WAAAY cheaper to procure than a front axle D-60....

Isn't it fun havin something you can clean with just a garden hose...?;)

I haven't broken it yet, but I do have a 76 with a full floating 14 bolt, 4.10 and of course 8 lug 44 up front I can swap out if I need to. Chances are, I won't habve it long enough to break it. The frame does not impress me, very flimsy. I'll most likely need to fish plate by the steering box to strengthen in there. It is a fun cheap budget beater though. Believe it or not, I've been dd it back and forth to work ever since I got it, at best I've been getting 14mpg.

• 4 weeks later...

TED, Ted, Ted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ted..

.. So i tried thinking of a few nice things to write about your truck and after contemplating for quite awhile i thought i would just say.....I would rather stick my dick in a fucking light socket than drive a chevy..If my car broke down in the middle of the Mojave desert , and the only tow truck the tow companies had were chevys ,,i would push that car till i fell over dead and was picked apart by mutherfucking buzzards ..

But it looks good enough for you...... :poke:

:hyper:

• Like 2

TED, Ted, Ted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ted..

.. So i tried thinking of a few nice things to write about your truck and after contemplating for quite awhile i thought i would just say.....I would rather stick my dick in a fucking light socket than drive a chevy..If my car broke down in the middle of the Mojave desert , and the only tow truck the tow companies had were chevys ,,i would push that car till i fell over dead and was picked apart by mutherfucking buzzards ..

But it looks good enough for you...... :poke:

:hyper:

you say this as your offering me chevy parts lol

looks like a nice beater to me

Got side swiped by an ex race car driver co-worker last tuesday at work. Tried passing me on the inside of a tight blind corner in his beaner lowered S-10 pickup. Think his truck is totaled.

0327121740.jpg

0327121739.jpg

4 wheel low and a couple good whacks on a big fir tree brought the bumper back around for me.

Na I didn't, took thwe door, passenger window, B-piller on the cab, passenger side of the box and his mirror was stuck to my bumper. Luckily it was on private property, completely his fault but he's been trying to blame me. Even tryed to get me to make a false statement to the insurance company claimiing it would help me out. Of course wants my insurance to pay for all damages. He made a sworn statement to his insurance saying I backed into him, so I guess now he's looking at possibly fraud charges too. Big mess.

Looks like a fun little (using the term loosely) beater truck~! Keep in mind that the truck 12-bolts are not as strong as the old car units~ and it's mounted in a truck. No parts are interchangeable between the two. This makes your rear axle the weakest link in your drivetrain. Sell it to someone building a street truck and replace with a corporate 14 bolt for a fairly bulletproof drivetrain. Although harder to find upgrade parts for (not that you'll need any), the corporate 10-bolt front axle is much tougher than the D-44 (about .2" larger axle and pinion diameters), and equal to in strength and WAAAY cheaper to procure than a front axle D-60....

Isn't it fun havin something you can clean with just a garden hose...?wink.gif

Yeah this 12bolt is about shot. I may have access to a dana 70 front and a dana 80 rear out of a 91 Sterling(Dodge)

• 1 month later...