electric fuel pump

slayer

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would jsut replace the one thats there. they run about $35-40 and are 2 bolts to undo. easier to do that than wire in an electric one, rig the FPR, and a cutoff switch. taht is unless you are planning on running EFI.

• Like 1
why do you need a fpr? i run a crappy el cheapo electric fuel pump that goes out every 6 months or so

Because you don't want the full amperage draw the pump needs (check your pump to see what this is probably between 20 and 30 amps at startup) running through a 5 amp switch. ;)

That el cheapo pump doesn't sound so cheap if your replacing it every 6 months....:blink:

i have a webber carb on mine, not to surew which on though, how do i identify it? yeah, it diesels and i hate it, how do i stop that? and one other thing, can i take those butterflies out of it? i think there for the auto choke. but it never gets cold here, soooooooo..........

:mad: Has any one put an electric pump on a 620?

All '75? and up 620s with air con. have them.

no just cheaper :) lol my parts store said $51 for replacement....$40 for electric...

For $11 saved you have to mount the electric near the tank and plumb the hoses, gear clamps, and wire it up including a ground. You could connect to the ignition RUN position but very unsafe if there is an accident and fire. Pump will keep pumping gas with ignition ON... and you unconscious. Not good.

Don't be so cheap!! Easier to replace old pump, faster, safer. Don't forget the plastic spacer between it and the block and don't over tighten the pump and crack the spacer or you'll have an oil leak.

• Like 1
why do you need a fpr? i run a crappy el cheapo electric fuel pump that goes out every 6 months or so with a weber knockoff 34/34 and use the the factory fuel return line without a fpr and have had no problems except the cheap pumps going bad

I have the same set up, except mine lasted 20 months and cost me $35 bucks.

Rusting isn't a prob. Just change the filter 2-3 times a year. Cut the old one open and examine it. This will tell you how often to change it. For a perminant fix for dieseling get a carb with an idle cut solinoide. The red wire goes to the solinoid, blue wire to electric choke.

ok, i know search, but how hard is it to set the timing? and imma wait till i get a fuel cell to run 93, my tank is rusted :(

look down at the dizzy and the bolt you see tward the bottom......... loosen it till the dizzy spins with a little drag make sure to mark where it was originally with a sharpie... start the motor and turn counter clockwise until the idle rpms drop 80 to 100 r's and tighten the distributor go run it long and hard athen see if it diesels out

• 3 weeks later...

My 77 came with an electric stock it was A/C equipped originally just replaced my pump for the second time in two years it was about $50.00 for a universal and not that hard to run the fuel lines . I love how my tank has a drain . Try replacing a electric fuel pump on a 95 Blazer by yourself with an in tank pump . Dropping the tank with a half tank of gas isn't really fun . The Datsun is like a freakin cakewalk in comparison .