Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

Cool thanks, thats kind of stupid that you have to click full editor to be able to do that... but what do I know, I just write software... i guess i just write stuff that makes sense. Anyway. Got my car back today. It's running and driving. I'll put up some pictures as I do more this week. Going to install some stuff I have on my other motor (cams, injectors, etc).

Have a full day scheduled at the dyno on the 19th. I'll take some videos when I do.

Heres a video of how the buddy club sounds on the car.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

255243_4022564814096_1692467600_n.jpg

558228_4022564894098_1852563830_n.jpg

Favorite view of the car

528538_4022565134104_583318453_n.jpg

Boost, Water temp, stupid dual gauge holder thing, wastegate springs, clutch, speedo cable and heater hose

319472_4023245271107_1142304156_n.jpg

Pulling the engine out to put in clutch, heater hose holes in the firewall and oil pan gasket

559140_4023568119178_124778128_n.jpg

Engine is out, cleaned the engine bay after this picture

269607_4023687842171_325103655_n.jpg

New clutch... yum!

376338_4023707882672_1074022936_n.jpg

Fuuuuuu... stupid 30 year old bolt. I had torque wrench set to the proper ft/lb and it just snapped before i even got close. LAME!

395848_4023739683467_207055839_n.jpg

Picked this up tonight on the way home and of course I didn't look before I bought it. It's all fuxor'd up. Gotta exchange it tomorrow.

576006_4023760803995_301886514_n.jpg

OUCH!

403988_4024838310932_1805588084_n.jpg

Here's where the bolt broke. Was able to get some vice grips on it from the back of the flywheel and get it out. OH YEAH!

327681_4024859791469_636241076_o.jpg

FTW!

559115_4024905712617_1721427472_n.jpg

RTV has been scraped from the block and oil pan. YES!

484441_4025163679066_2000825088_n.jpg

Unfortunately I had to go to work, so I couldn't get more done. Going to try and get the clutch in, oil pan on, drill the holes in the firewall for heater hoses (since dickweed welded in new sheet metal for the firewall with no holes for heater hoses). After that, dropping the engine back in.

:D

Clutch is installed and the motor is in the engine bay. RTV'd the oil pan and installed it. Haven't aligned the pins on the bellhousing yet so it won't just slide in yet because of the funny angle i have to hold it at thanks to the steering arm (flywheel cover keeps binding when it's lowered to the proper height). I returned the boost gauge but won't be able to pick up another until later today. I ran the heater hoses through the firewall. Anyway, i had to leave for work so that's all I did this morning.

When I get home i will put the engine in and install the dash. I put it in but have not actually hooked everything up. My right turn signal doesn't turn on so i think I have a wrong wire... anyway, just small stuff like that to get the dash functional and switches operating. I also need to hook up the boost and water temp gauge I purchased and install the dual gauge pod.

After that, I'm going to take a little drive to see what kind of temps the engine is seeing. I'll post a driving video later tonight if I can finish. I won't get off work until late because I'm burning the candle at both mothafuckin ends...

i just like saying "mothafucka".

Heres a pic of clutch/pressure plate installed.

277894_4029006615137_553677786_o.jpg

Finally finished getting it all back in, wired and bolted up last night. Can't wait to put the hood on. My fenders are shipping today from NH so I should have them next week. YES!

580739_4031701442506_1743803971_n.jpg

I pulled the front upper timing cover off and am ready to drop in the cams I had on the other head... as well as the adjustable cam sprockets. Should be done this evening with everything including the dash. My GF is NOT being understanding of the deadline to finish this so that I can get it tuned, LOL.... not like thats a new story for anyone with a GF who works on cars..

Anyway, that's it for today

The limitation is definitely going to be the fuel system unfortunately. I'm getting it tuned on a dyno dynamics which displays up to 16% lower than other dynos such as a dyno jet. But don't be fooled, it's because of how the dyno operates. It's a solid state dyno that simulates load so thats why it reads lower (this is a gross simplification so don't shoot me).

Anyway, I'm hoping for 250 and I don't feel it's unrealistic to see that at the wheels.

I bought 550cc injectors but didn't check out the company first. I'm worried about their quality as I've read a ton of posts about people who had injectors that flowed several hundred ccs off from each other. The company is TLF performance. I need get them flow tested before I put them on. So that being said, I'm only going to turn the boost up to 15psi on the 440cc injectors I have. They should be good for like 270hp if i recall correctly, but i think the duty cycle will be really high..

Anyway, thats something I will be doing soon (flow testing).

The cams are Tomei 260 duration 8.8mm lift. I'm not going to be doing any cam timing this dyno session either, this is strictly timing and fuel with basic cold start correction. Going to dial it in during a follow up session a week or two after this initial one. This session is really to help me see the curve of the turbo on the motor and where I need to free up power, whether it be from porting the head, cam timing, larger A/R turbo (doubtful unless I slap solid lifters in and want to rev to 10k), etc.

Cams are in, everything is done... and... teh car won't start. There's no TPS signal. I noticed a wire was broken from when i had pulled the harness back through the firewall again (for the 10th time). So i need to undo the electrical tape and see which one it was. Other than that, ECU boots up, fuel pump is on, everything is sexy. The clutch feels so magic too. It's just this narrow window of button magic that feels really easy and smooth to engage. WAY better than stock. I'll let you know how it feels / sounds when i get it running. I'll be out of town so no updates until Sunday night unfortunately.

Heres a couple pictures from swapping cams, rocker covers and front timing chain cover.

This is my favorite. I need to find a CAS cover so I can let the bling that is Tomei adjustable cam gears shine through.

555536_4035480736986_2047607876_n.jpg

Here's a shot of everything installed and final. Only thing I have to do is clean some abused areas of the engine bay... it has potential though, i must say.

264979_4035645421103_900335603_n.jpg

Just read thru your build. Nice man!

I know all to well about dealing with what the previous owner did to our cars!

Spent most of my time and money just to rectify all the wrong!

Btw, I thought I'd let you know, I'm the guy that mentioned your car sounded kinda like crap cause of the loud whine your

motor was making. LOL It partially had to do with the sound quality of the vid and it not very good. I apologize for not stating it

more "constructively." But then again, I am not one to mince words. Did you get that fixed yet?

All in all, it is headed in a way better direction then the previous owner had planned...

Also, tell me more about that aluminum cross member. Is it strong? Is it just a case of the mounts being too high/low on each side?

Are the welds at least quality? Etc...

Keep up the good work... :thumbup:

No worries, i didn't take offense to it, more like i just wanted to educate about the kick ass-ness of small turbine housings. ha ha ha!

The crossmember seems fine, the welds look good, the main thing is the placement of the motor (front to back). It does sit slightly more to the driver's side but not enough to affect the motor (i don't think). It does put the crank pulley almost right up the radiator (2 inches of clearance). So that was my main concern. Keep up the awesome build!

I'm not sure how much all out i want to go fixing things on this car. I think it just might be too expensive. I'll probably learn to TIG or MIG weld at some point. I got decent with stick welding a few years ago but then i got rid of my last project so there was nothing to practice on.

I just hope when i get home i can work on it for more than 45 minutes. Time has been tight. Also, the tune got pushed back to the 25th. I'm so disappointed about that.....

When i was pulling the wiring harness (so i could pull the engine) it looks like a wire may have been broken inside again. I really need to enlarge the hole i have it running through. Anyway, i have no TPS signal right now so the car is kindof like F.U. until I get that fixed.

OK.... ecu (although tight) was not quite flat. pushed the other side in and it works. So car runs and sounds super F'ing mean because of the cams.... it really sounds totally different. And...... my oil pan is leaking again. I need to get a new seal for the front. Anyway, ordering from rockauto today I think (depends on how long to ship). I can't say i'm excited, but I should have done it the first time.

d'oh!

Also, I got the dash in (and partially bolted up). You can see my crappy dash below. Wired up headlight switch and i'm working on some other small things too.

552086_4053067056633_770530693_n.jpg

So, I received the gasket(s) YES!

I also got something else that makes me verrrrry happy. Bubble flares! YAY! I got them from FutoFab. They don't typically look like this, these particular ones were going to be used for their shop car or something. I was in a time crunch (this shit needs to be done before I can take it to the Kern river the weekend after labor day) so I said I'd take them. Structurally there is nothing wrong, apparently just the coloring is off so he kept them. Otherwise it would have been several weeks of waiting. I'm going to try and smooth out the corners a little bit and get a quote on pulling out my driver's side front end to match up with the passenger's side. Will also be primering/painting these so I can put them on permanently in the next couple days. Most likely Saturday.

616269_4060790009702_773068399_o.jpg

Sorry about not making a video of the sound with cams, I'll do that tonight when I get home form work... slacking...

Bye bye!

We'll, it's not really that cool or anything but here you go. I hope you enjoy. Prior to cams the car would not build boost when revving. I also upped the rev limiter to 7000 rpm since that is a very happy spot for the CA. It's not a great video, it's not an interesting video, but it is a video of a turbo 510 revving, boosting and the blow off valve is going off.. so that's good.

Doing some minor tweaks when I get back form my haircut and then there will be some in car driving goodness. I want to do a few load tests to see if I can drive it to the shop next weekend. I'll be trying to tune out some flat spots or areas that are extra lean.... Granted I won't be flooring it to the shop (although that could actually be the safest if I bump the fuel up along that axis as it's the most predictable path).

Usually cars don't build much boost when just reving. Boost is built under load. If you want to be super safe, just keep the wastegate open as you drive to the shop or keep out of boost and you should be fine.

Ca18 looks great! I love how small that thing is in the engine bay compared to a ka

Thats true they don't normally when revving, but when you go extra rich or retard ignition timing you are effectively doing what a "two-step" does to build boost in neutral prior to a launch at a drag strip.

the car is rocking 9/10 afr going through the rpm range. Additionally it's not just about boost, when you run that rich you are putting solvent (gas) in your oil.

Thanks for the praise.. I wasn't able to get the oil leak to stop so I think this is going to be it for a while. I'm pretty sure the rear main seal is what's leaking now but I don't have the time to work on it right now. Probably just going to pull the engine and do a total overhaul with forged internals... but I have to make my girlfriend happy and get new furniture first... so IDK when I'm going to work on the car again.. could be a while.

I'm not really sure what I want to do for right now.

True about the running rich part. I don't think many people think about the gas washing out their cylinder walls. 9/10 is pretty rich. I need to get my wagon up and running as well. Hopefully I'll see your 510 running up these streets. I'm right here in Costa Mesa.