lower crankcase breather?

TENDRIL

so i noticed the other day that i do not have a lower crankcase breather, the tube that comes out right below the exhst. mani. ...... well my is freeze plugged off?

so does anybody know the dimension of that port..?

and would i be able to buy a brass fitting from the hardware store to pop into it and attach a breather hose to filter or over flow chamber?

i was told if the lower CC dose not breathe it will blow a seal anything from a Front main, rear main, timing cover, or oil pan seal,

note: when i park it after driving and i pull the oil dipstick it hisses at me releasing pressure ....

something like this is supposed to be there..

p1070003bd4.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i noticed the other day that i do not have a lower crankcase breather, the tube that comes out right below the exhst. mani. ...... well my is freeze plugged off?

so does anybody know the dimension of that port..?

and would i be able to buy a brass fitting from the hardware store to pop into it and attach a breather hose to filter or over flow chamber?

i was told if the lower CC dose not breathe it will blow a seal anything from a Front main, rear main, timing cover, or oil pan seal,

note: when i park it after driving and i pull the oil dipstick it hisses at me releasing pressure ....

something like this is supposed to be there..

p1070003bd4.jpg

Wut? :huh:

Do you have a L20B? cause that tube is for the L20B. and are you looking for the diameter size of the breather tube on the end that goes to the block?

It won't blow a seal unless the hose on top of the valve cover is plugged.

This vent is there for a reason. It's part of the PCV system but it's biggest value is to ventilate the block fumes which will extend the oil change intervals by removing water vapors that will condense and mix with the oil. Who ever did this was terribly misguided. Blocking this off serves no good purpose and in the long run is damaging to the engine..

i do have an l20b and yes i would like to know the diameter size of the breather tube on the end that goes to the block, so that may be i can buy a fitting and mak one in its place...

i have a hose on top that goes into the intake mani, but i guess id rather have both breathing properly for the life of the engine

The block is only about 200 degrees max.

motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog.jpg

I just took one of these ^, cut it, turned around and routed it behind the head. Then I made a breather can from some tubing and put a filter on it, and vented the valve cover to it. Not the greatest looking, but it works.

IMG_1686.jpg

Mine on my L16 was missing, so I tapped it for pipe thread and put a stainless steel fitting in mine with a hose barb on the end, then I put about a 2' hose on it and vented mine to the ground. (eventually I'm gonna wrap the hose with steel braiding to make it pretty) :D